Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

deeper neck pocket

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by maurilio, Aug 22, 2005.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi there,
    I've got a question.
    How expensive (event. "complicated") would be to mill the neck pocket, so the neck would sit lower and the strings would be closer the body?
    Even better slighty angled, so the strings would be closer at the neck joint and a little further at the bridge.
    Thank you.

Mo'

2. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Why dont you just get it set up well by a proffesional.

have a look on the sticky threads in the setup forum

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
    Hi,
    man, I've been setting up my instrument since I was a kid, building them (assembling), mod them (electronics) and general set up.

Now, i have this beautiful Metro MS5 I love, but I just realized that the neck pocket is not as deep as in the NYC. So the strings, the general set up, are kinda far from the body. Making technique like slapping a little bit difficult.
    I would appreciate if someone could answer my questions.

Mo'

4. Well, it depends on how low the bridge can be set up. Your neck can only be set as low as the bridge will allow. It wouldn't be that complicated to route the pocket deeper, but I just don't know if it would be feasible or make any sense to do it.

How much lower are we talking?

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Geoff is right. The bridge may not allow it though there might be some things you can do like grinding the bottom of the saddles so they'll go lower. You would almost certainly have to make a router template 'cause there's no sides on part of the neck pocket for a bearing to ride on and no body for the router bass to sit on. Plus there's the possiblity of chipping the finish. I'd look into taking some material off the heel of the neck before I'd mess with the neck pocket. It would take a minute or two on a stantionary belt sander with some 150. Either way you might have to shorten the neck screws. You would have a little touch up to do also if you chose to take off some of the heel, but from what I understand about Sadowskys they use a very light coat of lacquer on their necks.

6. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hey, thanks.
    I know what you're talking about. The bridge has no problem to go lower ~ 1/8". The idea is to mill the bottom of the neck a little less than 1/8".
    I have a guy here in LA raccomended by Roger Sadowsky himself and I'll contact him.
    We'll see.
    Thanks

Mo'

7. Depending on how deep the pocket is now, you might be able to do it with one of the 1/2" bearing guided mortising bits from Porter Cable. This is essentially a 1/2" tall patterning bit with a top mounted bearing. If the pocket is 3/4" then I bet you could just use it's walls as the pattern and cut the floor a little deeper. I've also used 1/4" spiral up bits without bearings by simply running the smooth shoulder on the edge of the wood. With some care and preparation, this can easily and cleanly do the same thing.

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Hey Hambone, thanks.
    it's what I was thinking, I had the same job done by the guys at Warmoth for one of my basses, but I don't know how much it would be by a luthier.
    Do you have any idea?

Mo'