1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deeper sound

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xXMurderSoulXx, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Well the strings I'm using right now are bright, and I can't stand them. What would be some good dark sounding strings, that don't sound "jazzy" I guess you could call it. Playing it makes me want to throw up. I want like classical sounding lows, like a low pipe organ.

These are the strings I'm using now:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...n-Pack-5String-Bass-Guitar-Strings?sku=100158

The tuning I use is ADGCF, so I also need thicker strings, someone suggested 45-60-80-105-145

thanks.

2. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    If you want darker strings without going flatwound than you could try some Fender Pure Nickel Rounds, or Fender 8250's ... I like DR Nickel Lo-Riders a lot too. D'Addario Half-Rounds are a compromise between roundwound and flats that you might like once broken in. If you want to try flats, D'Addario Chromes are a good place to start too since they are bright for flats but mellower than rounds.

BTW what bass and amp rig are you using? That might affect the sound too, especially if you haven't tried EQ'ing differently yet.

3. stealth51

stealth51

Jan 26, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    DR Nickel Lo-Riders and trim off some of the treble and midrange :hyper:

4. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    That's the set I use. Those are great strings. I get a TON of low end out of those strings. How is your EQ set? Have you tried turning the tone control all the way down on your bass?

What kind of bass are you playing?

I don't understand that tuning... is that low to high? Or high to low?

That set you posted is already 45-65-80-100-130. Except for the low B I don't see much of a difference.

At one time I wanted to get away from the ringing round wound tone, so I started using LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Stainless Steel Flatwounds. They aren't thuddy like regular flats, but they don't sound bright like round wounds either. Imagine round wounds without the clang. They lasted three years too. Then I broke one of them.

http://www.juststrings.com/labellaelectricbassguitardeeptalkinflatwoundstandardlong.html

5. vtwo

vtwo

Dec 16, 2006
    Connecticut
    Dark? Fender rounds? +1 to bassman's word

Oh, and they should be DEAD too.

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    That kind of tone would never cut through tuned that low anyway. Especially with metal guitars? You need the treble.

7. His tuning is just drop each string one step... I don't see what's hard to figure out about it

8. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    D'Oh!

The low B threw me off. :meh:

9. +1 Great set for what they're intended for (B-E-A-D-G)...

I have one bass B-E-A-D and another E-A-D-G ...both have fantastic low end...they're both inexpensive basses and I don't even use a high-end rig...

I think that for the drop tuning, that the only thing required would be heavier gauges...

10. Yeah I don't know why they couldn't figure that out :confused:. I'm about to try flatwounds. Tonally how are they? I want really deep bass, without getting that roundwound sound I guess you would call it. I play metal, and I know roundwounds are mostly used, but I don't want a bright sound.

11. BassMan250

BassMan250

Jan 26, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Flats are usually very smooth and deep, a few varieties are as bright or close to as bright as rounds, but without the twang or zinginess of rounds. You generally get really thumpy lows and smooth highs, although with some flats you might lose some high end and/or sustain. Try D'Addario Chromes, they're great.

12. cmhgreg

cmhgreg

Oct 26, 2004
    Columbus, OH
    +1 on the Fender pure nickels. I have them on my Jag and they go real deep. To my ears they have more tonal depth than the D'Addario XL's and sound more consistent string to string.

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Running a set of 45-100 XLs tuned down a step is probably your biggest issue. They will not punch very hard and will be pretty buzzy and clangy. And that is primarily due to there not being enough tension.

For a step down I would recommend 50 and 70 for the G and D. For A either an 85 or 90. For E either 105 or 110. And for B 130 or 135. Just strings sells singles. There are plenty of 4 string sets that go 50-110 or 50-105 (Ken Smith, Labella, D'Addario,Ernie Ball). Then all you need to do is buy a single B string to go with it. Tapers will probably intonate better with the thicker B string. And of course a good setup will make it or break it.

The Rotosound flats have a lot of tension. Maybe the 45-130 5 string set would get you tension and some darkness.

Dave

14. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Flats will do it, but they also have a thuddier tone. I don't know what kind of bass you have. If you have a passive tone control, turning that all the way down will get you the tone you want.

It's harder with active setups. But you should be able to do this on your amp. A lot of people get a great dub sound with roundwounds.

I'm thinking your strings are too low and to light. That's probably the real issue here.

But flats are the way to go if you don't want that round wound tone. D'Addario Chromes have a very dark tone. Rotosounds are brighter, but still not like round wounds (Steve Harris uses them). Roto and LaBella make string with black nylon tape instead of the flat metal. They have more highs, but not like round wounds. LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass Stainless are great flats. They are deep and smooth and not dead and thuddy like the vintage style of flats.

Do you play in a band, or just at home? With a very deep tone you might not be heard over guitars, especially if they are tuned down with a low of lows. If you like blending into the mix though, that will do it!

And yeah, you need heavier strings. You will likely have to adjust your neck too, and maybe raise the action some.

Personally with a 5 string I don't see the need to tune down. That low B is usually lower than I need to go. And I play on the low B quite a bit. Like this: Do What Makes Your Heart Sing (Part I).mp3

15. Roland777

Roland777

Jun 1, 2006
    Sweden
    I suggested you the 45-60-80-105-145 set because it'll give you a more even tension across the board. The 145 is pretty brutal when you tune it to A! I've gone the 50-110-set plus .145 single route as well. The 50-110-set was way too tight IMO to match up with the .145.
    As far as strings go - you're pretty much stuck with Warwick, Pyramid and D'addario when you wanna get a .145, and GHS if you've got a "34. (Speaking from a european's point of view. I think yanks have SIT and Ken Smith to choose from as well)
    You said you didn't like the D'addario's - try the other ones then!

16. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    There are balanced tension sets that have a .045 and a .060 on top of a .085 and .110 that feel really good - The La Bella Hard Rockin Steels are very well balanced in that configuration. SOL on a .145 but the gauges are worth a go from somebody else...

17. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz flats......... You can get every tone you can imagine, and it's important to let them get broken in for at least a week, before you form an opinion on the overall sound. They can go as dark as you want, or as bright as you want. Just use your fingers to make the sound you need. They will sound better and better, the longer you use them. It's an amazing string man. Try a set of TIJF345's and you get a nice big 133 or 136 B, I forgot which, but they blow other flats away, something fierce.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    TIJF's are sweet for my uses but - in your case I'd try D'Addario Chromes. They come in different guages / tensions IIRC and overall their character is more 'steely' or maybe less warm than JF's. I think of JF's as being kinda woody sounding. JF's are also pretty light (.43 to .100 in the 4 string set and the silk interior winding gives them a real soft supple feel. If you're at all ham handed with your picking hand - you will have to adjust to JF's.

The Fenders are OK too but - the Chromes have more going on in terms of harmonic content and more sustain. If you really need to zero sustain thing that the Fenders do you can always learn to mute ...

19. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    well he said he didn't want a jazz sound. I haven't used them in years, but I thought Chromes were kind of thumpy. More of a traditional flatwound tone.

I used flats exclusively for a period of time and tried just about all of them. Thomastics weren't out then.

The brightest flats I have used are LaBella Deep Talkin' Bass stainless steel flats. You can actually slap on them! They vibrate as freely as round wounds, but don't have that ringing top end. Great harmonic content.

One set lasted me three years.. and they sounded consistent in that time. They would have lasted longer, but I broke one playing REAL hard with an extra heavy pick. :crying:

I think I'm actually going to put a set on one of my fivers. :)