1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Deeper Than Deep

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by BellBottomBlues, Jul 23, 2007.

1. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    Endorser:Fender User:Rotosound, LaBella, Ashdown, Lindy Fralin
    Hey all

Last night I broke two strings on my 57 P-bass (D&G) so now I need a new set.

I used to use rotosound flats, and this set (with the busted strings) were Fender nylons. I like a deep deep deep bass sound with not a lot of treble.

Ideally I'm looking for a lot of bass and low mid response with not a lot of treble.

I also don't like rubbery feeling strings (so no TIs) so the only string I can think of the Jamerson set. I've never played them before but I've heard good things.

I've also heard that I'd have to get them cut to fit the nut, is that true?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    The LaBella 760FL set will give you just as much bottom in a lighter gauge with much less tension, but they are still fairly stiff. Same with the Fender 9050ML, Dean Markley, and Lakland Jo Osborn flats.

If anything you might have to recut the nut a bit deeper if you use the Jamerson set; the E string is a .110, IIRC.

3. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I'll look in the the DMs and the lighter 760FL

I won't be playing fender strings again. They sound nice enough, but how often do you break 2 strings playing moby dick?

4. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I've broken the G before, but how do you brake the D string?

5. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I play harder and faster than anyone I've ever met. I've broken every string at least once on my 4 banger.

I play finger style and a pluck those strings hard

6. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Man, and I thought I played hard!

7. BellBottomBlues

BellBottomBlues

Feb 21, 2007
    New York
    I used to use Rotosound Swingbass before I switched to flats, broke the E and the D during Rush's fly by night.

I usually bring at least one back up to shows.

8. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

+1....760FL's are my favorite flats, they are medium tension which is just right for me and way easier to play than a Jamerson set which is high tension.

George