Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Deepest, ballsiest sounding strings??

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Moondog, Aug 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What are the deepest, fattest, ballsiest sounding strings? (for rock and blues) I've tried quite a few brands but can't seem to find what I am looking for. I want huge, round, powerful, punchy, clearly defined bottom, strong attack and midrange bark, and a clear high end with minimal fretting noise. I'm open to rounds or flats but like a balanced set with medium tension and prefer 45 to 105. Also I like smooth strings, many stainless rounds are way too rough feeling and noisy or raspy sounding. On the other hand many flats do not sound aggressive or
    crunchy enough. I play fingerstyle percussively close to the bridge and sometimes use a pick, and use Fender and Gibson basses. I don't slap at all. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Tried GHS boomers? I use a lighter gauge than you do, but they have an excellent sound (imo). Just converted recently, and couldn't be happier. Good luck in your quest.
    Stu

3. I've just put on a set of DR Lo-Riders. Had to roll of the bass on the amp and on the bass itself. Now I just set it flat, so in other words: it's a string with a lot of bass! Apart from that they're very even sounding strings, with a really good attack. Really puts a percussion-like attack into your playing. So if your a rythmic player, you'll love these. The downside for some players is that these strings are really stiff. I think I like it (put them on yesterday, so they're still new for me), because it tends to let your fingers move around more freely. You don't have to compensate for a soft string that tends to 'follow' your finger...

Hope it helps

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    this question has come up more than once in here....search and you shall find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.