deepest passive humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by basshag, Dec 17, 2002.

1. basshag

Oct 17, 2001
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I mostly play old non-reverse t-birds,and love the sound I get from the pickups - really deep sounding. I'm thinking of modding an old Fender style bass with a humbucker, and am wondering what other passive pickups can give me a similar deep sound. It's been really tough finding old t-bird pickups lately, so I'm considering putting something else in. Any suggestions on what other passive humbuckers might offer a similar tone?
  2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Not sure of the actual tone of a firebird that you're describing (I've never played one...), but Bartolini offers several different windings for their pickups. I am going to be installing barts in my Carvin LB76, and am going to be going for their "deep tone" winding. They usually offer three different tone windings for each pickup, a "deep tone", a "brighter tone", and a "brightest tone". On some pickups they only offer a "deep tone" and a "bright tone".
    They usually refer to them by letter (ie: M = deep tone, T= bright tone, etc.)

Check `em out.

3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Don't know if this will work for your application, but Gibson EB-O pups seem to be pretty deep. Billy Sheehan put one in an old Fender of his and loved it, and the neck pup in his current Yamaha Attitude signature bass is modeled after the Gibson I believe.
  4. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    Phat Ham is right,

I also put an EBO style (DiMarzio Model One, which is actually what Billy started using on all of his other basses except the original p-bass witht he tele neck) pickup right up under the neck of my p-bass and wired it for stereo also (fwiw....can be seen at and it is a pretty deep sounding pickup. It is a humbucking pickup, so I also installed a coil tap that I never use.....

Happy Holidays!