"Deepest" sounding 15" out there...?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Feb 25, 2003.

1. What brand of 15" out there would be most suitable as a subwoofer? I know most are built with full range bass in mind but which cabs do you know of have the deepest extension? I don't really want an 18".....
  2. None that I know of, which is why I build my own.
  3. I'll ask again BG...any pics or examples of what you've made? I'd be interested in seeing the route you took?
  4. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    I peronally own a Peavey 115BVX, which I like, but have heard great things about the Aguilar 15's as well.
  5. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Maybe the 1x15 by Hevos:
    30Hz-1,2kHZ 600W RMS
  6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Bag End ELF maybe? They are pricey though and require a separate processor.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Acme B2 LBW.

its the low low version of the low B2. heard it does wonders to your bowels. :D
  8. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I'd like to know the answer to this question too. I've been looking into inexpensive PA subs because I'm cheap. Behringer, Fender, and Squier :)eek: ) all make cheap subs. I just have no way to try them out first, mail order seems to be the only option. I've considered the Yamaha 18", but that's a pretty big cab to lug around. Are there others I should look into, or is something like the Acme really the best bet? I am not going to shell out the $ for an ELF or an Accugroove, although I'm sure they sound fabulous.
  9. I never bothered taking pix because my prototypes are just that: prototypes.

They are 1x15 front ported cabs, but uncovered by carpet or other material. I've been watching the joints and construction for separation or other flaws over the course of gigging. So far, it has been two straight years this month, 2x to 3x weekly gigging, and no defects. They are pretty scratched up but the integrity is still there.

I can put together some pictures if you are interested. This afternoon, I'm finishing up a pair of 1x10 cabs, and will probably cover them at a later date.

If you're looking for something with a huge bottom, look for drivers with an Fs of 26 Hz or lower. This mostly lets out the 10s and 12s.
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My 2 cents. My JBL E145 is the best 15 I've ever heard - loud and low. But you'd have to buy a raw speaker and organise a cabinet for it. I don't think JBL ever used this speaker in a bass cab.

I don't like 18's either, too big to lug around.
  11. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I think Bag End is your best choice. The S-15D and the S-15B-D don't need the ELF system.
  12. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    I have a S15B-D. It is the the fattest 15" cab I have found.

13. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
  14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Is that a different cab than the B-2W? I don't see anything on the acme website about a B2 LBW.
  15. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, i meant the B-2W.
  16. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have been very seriously looking into the BE S15B-D and talked to several owners (the S15-D is rated 50Hz - 4kHz & the S15B-D 40Hz - 4kHz). All the owners say that BE rates their cabs very conservatively. They all rave about their 'B' string sound through it. It is also very efficient.

Cons: 70 lbs. 18.5" x 28.5" x 24.5", but that's where the solid low-end comes from.

Model S15B-D
    Impedance 8 Ohms
    Continuous Sine Wave Power Handling 200 W
    Peak Music Program Power Handling 400 W
    Sensitivity 1 Watt/1 Meter 103 dB SPL
    Frequency Response 40-4kHz
    Crossover Frequency N/A
    Parallel Input Connectors 1/4" and Banana
    HxWxD (in inches) 18.5 x 28.5 x 24.5
    Net Weight (in pounds) 70
    Components 1, E-15

I am thinking one would sound very good with a Bagie D10BX-D or a Bergie HT210.
  17. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    I agree, it is a bit heavy and cumbersome comparatively, but it does sound great with a Bergie HT210.

I also considered the Bag End 210, but it's a 4 Ohm cab, I think, and the Berg HT210 sounded a bit fuller to me. Now, I wish I had picked up two Berg 112s possibly instead of the HT210. Two of those are all I need these days, I think. Good Luck!
  18. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    There is something about the punchy-ness of 10s that I haven't heard in anything else (well maybe multi-8s, Henry or Henry Jr.)
    That's quite a collection; looks like three 8 Ohm cabs. What do you usually use for a moderate-sized venue?
    [Seems like the HT210 would need a fair bit more power than the S15B-D.]
  19. KPO2000

Sep 5, 2001
    You've got to check out the Berg 12s before you draw conclusions. (Perhaps, you already have.) The shear volume and punch really surprised me.

20. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW

I'm diggin' the Ludwig Phase II Synth! I used to own one myself, but absolutely NO low end IME. Crazy effect though and VERY rare as I'm sure you're no doubt aware of. Just curious, how much did you pay for yours?

** And now, we return to our regularly scheduled thread **