1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Deepest sounding 410's?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by M.R. Ogle, Jul 21, 2012.

1. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Need a recommendation. I have a friend looking for a 410 cab that is voiced for deep bass. I have been told that an Ampeg SVT410HLF would be a good choice.

I have no idea what all the suffix letters mean in the Ampeg cabinet lines, and they seem to have had a LOT of different models of 410 cabs over the years, I guess they're all voiced a little differently?

Or, any other recommendations for a good, DEEP sounding model of any other manufacture 410 cab? We're open to suggestions, high-end or true-fidelity is not a specific requirement.

2. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    D410XST - David Eden.. extremely low frequency range and projects well

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They are, but any of Ampeg's cabs with the designation LF or HLF mean they go quite low. The SVT410hlf, the PF410hlf...etc.

4. I had the SVT410HLF with an SVT 4-Pro head and now have an Eden D410XLT with a WT-800 and I think that the Eden digs deeper, but to me sounds best with an Eden head. Also, the Eden 410XST is suppose to have deeper lows than the XLT line.

I've heard that the DNA DNS-410 cab can play extremely low as well.

5. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing...

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I can't comment on any of the boutique designs - but I do absolutely love when there's one of those ampeg or eden cabs in the backline. I've been using an SWR Goliath III for over ten years and recently replaced all the drivers with Eminence Legend BP 102s - I think these are the same as the stock ampegs - and they sound huge (to me).

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Genz Benz Uber Bass or the older XB's. Haven't heard anything go lower or deeper, IMHO!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    They're not...the stock Ampegs have a custom deeper back plate that allows them to get deeper lows without pinging early. But if they're working for you, no big whoop if they're not identical.

8. There is only one in my mind and that's the ACME B4. :)

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Read my mind, Paul. +1.

10. If you can find one, and you're not afraid of a little weight, the old Ampeg PR410 HLF is the deepest of them all.

11. basskillah

basskillah Justus League

Sep 14, 2004
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Roscoe Guitars
    Aguilar GS 410, Markbass 410 HF, Eden 410 XLT Immediately come to mind.

12. LouieV2

LouieV2

Jan 9, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd go with the SVT410HLF. Definitely my favorite cab of all time to date.

13. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    The original SWR Goliath 4x10 made by Eden...

And the Bag End loaded SWR Big Ben.

14. G-K's 410RBH! 96lbs worth of tone though.

15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Yep, if I wanted a 410 with a good deal of low end (without losing the mids), this would be my choice as well.

16. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    If you can find one indeed. Great cab, best Peavey cab ever by far, harder to find than a PR410HLF with perfect tolex.

+ whatever on the Acme B4.

17. Totally agree. If not the 410 RBH, I'd still make sure it's ported well.

18. So, 18 posts in and ACME, Aguilar, Ampeg, GK, Peavey, Eden, Bag End, SWR, Markbass, Genz Benz are all the deepest :-\

The list could get pretty long...

19. I would bet on Acme being the deepest, granted you have the power to push it.