Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Default video/music player

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MikeyFingers, Oct 4, 2005.

1. I need a little computer help. Something is wrong with my Windows Media Player, so I've been using RealPlayer for a while. I tried re-installing WMP today and it still doesn't work, but it switched my default media player from Real to Windows. So now when I try to play a new video/song, it tries to play it in WMP which doesn't work. So, the question: How do I get RealPlayer to be my default media player again?

2. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Open Realplayer and select "Tools," and then "Preferences." Highlight "Media Types," and check the file types you want Realplayer to handle.

This will set RealPlayer as the default media player for these file types. If you try installing WMP again, it may over-ride RealPlayer, which automatically unchecks the file types in that program.

3. Nevermind, solved that problem.
    Now for a whole new question. This has been bugging me for months now. When I try to play a WMV file, I can't see the video but I can hear the sound to it. Sometimes I get an error message and it won't play at all. Any suggestions for that?

BTW--Is that Hunter Thompson in your avatar?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I would reccomend maybe a complete re-install of WMP. Or use winamp. I like windows medai because it is stable for me.

5. ^I tried that twice. I completely un-installed it, then I completely re-installed the newest version of it. It still does it.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    sounds like that file maybe a divx file. try installing the plug in (NO NEED FOR THE CRAPPY PLAYER).

7. Use winamp :D

There's not really something like 'a complete wmp reinstall'. It comes with windows, and much like messenger, is very hard to remove. Either try updating to the most recent wmp version (if you can, I don't know what system you have), which will replace most of the key files, or switch to a better program alltogether. I only came across one similar issue with winamp in the past (and I've dealt with my share of computer problems, compsci student talking), and at least that can be removed and reinstalled completely.

8. whoapower

whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    No, and No.

Winamp for video? Don't even think about it. Lots of video corruption all over the place. Just use BSPlayer, it works fine, lightweight, nonbloated and free. www.bsplayer.com

And wmp can be removed and reinstalled.

9. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    oh man.. i'm suprised no one posted this yet

Media Player Classic

If anyone's tried Media Player Classic, you can all back me up on this.

"Media Player Classic looks just like Windows Media Player 6.4, but has many additional features. It has a built in DVD player with real-time zoom, support for AVI subtitles, QuickTime and RealVideo support (requires QuickTime and/or Real Player); built-in MPEG2/SVCD/DVD codec."

It's great.. it loads in seconds, plays my dvds/real media files/quicktime files, you name it.. all you need to grab are the codecs for each file type and you're all set to go!

You wanna play Real Media without having Real Player? Get this

Real Alternative - Which is basically Media Player Classic with the Real Media Codecs already embedded.

Quick Time Alternative - Same deal, just Apple Quicktime Codecs already embedded

Once you use Media Player Classic, you won't go back.. trust me on this ;)

D :bassist:

PS: for music though, winamp 2.91 :)

10. I've been using winamp for years now, and have very little (come to think of it, zero) 'corrupted' video's that WMP can play and winamp can't. But then again, that's me. If anyone wants to switch over to another media player, it's their choice, and whatever suits them is fine.

11. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV

killer thanks...I hate RealPlayer with a vicious passion

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    not a problem.. and trust me, you'll love Media Player Classic, keep me updated on how it turns out for ya ;)