1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defeat tastes so very bitter (1st batch of pics added)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan316, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Hot rod won't make it to Autorama.

So my buddy Jewski has been building a '57 flathead Ford block with the goal of dropping it into his '31 Ford pickup. He's had the block rebuilt and polished, all new aluminum heads, intake, crank, cam, lifters and springs and valves and everything inside. New oil sump, new distributer, new non-oiled sealed bearing water pumps, new everything. Every part balanced, assembled, dyno-tested and rebalanced. He's spent the last few weekends reassembling all the little details. Today, we spent the whole day yanking out the 287 Chevy small block and Turbo 350 tranny, and then mounting the tranny to the Ford block with a shiny new aluminum adapter plate.

And then... we try fitting it all into the engine bay.

NO DEAL.

We have just under 3 inches of interference. Where the new engine mounts need to be bolted/welded, is his front suspension. Where his tranny needs to go back, is the firewall. Not even the block will clear the firewall, let alone the heads, rear oil pressure sender or most of the wiring.

We're absolutely screwed.

So he's already paid all his registration fees and stuff to enter his car, long ago, and we'll end up camping out on recliners in that space, and play poker all day and night.

Defeat sucks.

The new battle plan, is to remove the cab and assemble the engine and tranny where they need to be to clear the front suspension. Then we chop the whole firewall off. Then we spent the tedious time of custom-creating a new firewall and tranny hump to clear the engine and tranny. Then, maybe then, he'll still be able to fit inside the cab of his already chopped and shrunken cab.

Ain't never did this much custom work on a hot rod, and truth is, it's gonna be fun.

But we're still defeated for Autorama.

2. I want to see pictures of said engine. Why is the cab already chopped?

lowsound

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    could you carefully cut the firewall out and just slide the whole thing back ? It would probabbly me easier than fabbing a new one. Is this a period piece, custom, or rat rod ? What style are you going for ?

4. At least it will be even more individual when its done :)

5. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    YOU DAAAAMN RIGHT!

The truck is a very very custom rat rod. Hardly much on it except the radiator grill and the cab and the front suspension to make it look like the original version of it.

The cab is chopped to shorten it. ZZ Top style. Less glass, lower roof, lower profile, mean and nasty. It's almost a rat rod, except he doesn't let it rust out completely ugly. Jewski's goal is more of the traditional old-school 40's and 50's hot rod. Rattle-can flat black, with white detailing.

The engine block is gloss black, and if he could find a part in aluminum to replace something painted, he did. It's a helluva color scheme for an engine. No chrome, just cast or brushed aluminum everywhere.

The truck bed is completely self-fabricated. Boxy and square, and very useless as a pickup bed goes. Heh heh. But it'll hold lawn chairs and a cooler of beer. And that's really the point, isn't it?

I'll bug him for some pictures. See if he checks his email tonight.

6. That thing will be sick once it is done.

lowsound

7. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I dunno about sick, but at least it'll work again. Been maaaany months now it's been undrivable. We don't intend for it to become my Mustang, and be undriven for years.

8. Sick means good. "That looks sick" means the same thing as "that looks cool".

lowsound

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Allright, pictures time. This is the car as he bought it, with the sacrilegious Chevy block in it.

Tomorrow, I'll get pictures of the new engine. And the bloody carnage of his mangled engine bay.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. That looks sweet, are those the tires/rims that you are keeping on there?

lowsound

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Absolutely. He's found original center caps for it, in decent shape. But he's most definitely keeping the rims white. And we've repainted the Firestone lettering. His next set of tires will have FAT whitewalls.

And we're repainting the exhaust. Most likely powdercoating, if I have any say in it! The powder is far more durable and will last longer. His new headers are AWESOME. Just waiting for the white.

12. Man, I wish that I had the cash to do a job like this. I want to restore a motorcycle that my uncle has sitting around. I just don't have the money for it.

lowsound

13. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Very nice!:)

14. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    Loads of potential there! Hope you can work out the engine fit problem. How is the interior?

15. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Lowsound, it's far less about the money, and far more about the labor.

Parts, tools, materials, they can be had for cheap if you search hard enough and ask enough people.

But the actual work... that's gonna kill ya. KILL YA, I say! If you've got the time, the labor will eventually get done.

16. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    The interior is BARE BONES. No creature comforts. You ride with your knees buried in your neck. The seats are just bolted flat to the floor. The steering wheel column needs to get hacked up and re-angled, just so Jewski can fit his knees next to the new tranny stickshift linkage.

Oh.... and the gearshift... it's a mic and mic stand from the 50's. And it has 2" clearance from the inside of the roof. \m/ \m/ I'll try to get more pics of that one...

17. I have the time to do the labour, but I am flat out broke.

lowsound

18. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Okay for reference, you've seen the Chevy engine in the above pictures. Here's a few pics of typical Ford flatheads from 51-57.

s_1940.

All-polished heads and intake, with three carbs on top. Jewski's has two carbs:
    [​IMG]

Okay I accidentally came across this pic while searching. This is an IDEAL vintage hot rod with a flathead. DAMN this looks sharp.
    1930-Ford-Sedan-flathead-matte-black-le.

Here's the Offenhauser heads on a flathead. He assembled his heads with black-oxide studs and nuts, instead of stainless steel bolts like this pic. But it's a good idea of the unfinished aluminum look. Just imagine gloss black instead of gloss red. Or the evil ram air on top. LORD that looks evil.
    red%20flathead%2003.

19. doktorfeelgood

doktorfeelgood layin' it down like pavement Supporting Member

Sorry to hear that you'll miss your target date for Autorama. But I have a question about the '57 Ford flathead motor. Didn't Ford stop making flatheads in 1953?... BTW, nothing like the sound of a healthy flathead. )-(

20. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Well then it's a 51 block. I was only halfways paying attention when he was rattling off the stats a few months ago. Either that or when I was reading his spec sheets for all the parts he mass-ordered back then, the sales guy scribbled a 1 that looked more like a 7 and it stuck in my head. I'm a 60's technology kinda guy. Leave me alone. Stop it. The voices, THE VOICES...

Oh crap... I just remembered now when you said 1953, the Ford Y-blocks came into production in 1954. Those were replacements (upgraded engineering) for the flatheads, right? That would make sense unless the flatheads and Y-blocks had cross-production.

God I suck. Winter sets in, I forget all my hot rod knowledge.

I'm such a hack.