Defects in Spector Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slowmodemfoo, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Hey Talkbassers, I'm looking at buying a spector bass (forget the model number, I think it's $579 and it's got that weird holo-black finish) and I wanted to check and see if anyone knew of any spector defects ..i.e. Rogue Necks warp like bananas... just generalizatons, but genealizatinsthat could be applied to a majority of spector basses and still be correct. Thanks
  2. well the model youre talking about is the Korean series. as far as i know, there arent many defects(and i have one, check the link in my sig). now the real spectors (American) are more consistently perfect, but as long as you check it out before you buy it should be cool.

congrats on picking such a good bass BTW!
  3. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    Stuart Spector is a man that stands by his basses, so even if there is a problem he'll most likely be very helpful in fixing it. Chances are there won't be any problems though.
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Not only does he stand by 'em, but he QC's each one himself, even those made in Korea!
  5. lowb

Jul 27, 2000
    London, UK
    I'm not taking the mick Josh, but what kind of quality do Spector it POOR it GOOD QUALITY.

"Quality" isn't a qaulity word for describing;)

6. Ooh, don't start me on 'Quality' I've been on my soapbox in other threads ranting about this word!!!

Hey Slowmodemfoo - I've got 2 Spector basses, one Czech and one Korean - also with the Holoflash Black finish. They are both high quality instruments.

The Czech Spector is a better instrument with a wider range of sounds (it does have better electronics), better finish and slightly better hardware - Brass Bridge and Schaller strap lock buttons!

However, the Korean bass is a really good bass. I payed £665 (about $950 US) for mine - apparently the only Spector REX2000/5 in Holoflash Black in Britain (I'm willing to stand corrected on that one, it's what my salesman told me that the importer told him!!!)

It a good sounding instrument, with a graphite nut (I believe), same bridge as the Czech ( I believe) but finsished in black as opposed to gold, and all of the hardware is black!! Including the strap buttons which are of standard design. The sounds from the EMG Hz pickups are really good. I had to adjust my playing style to accomodate the REX body shape (not a problem as I have a 6 string Explorer guitar as well).

The main thing that I noticed was that f you caught the light on it at the right angle you could see whatblooked likemsmall dings/dents in the lacquer on the finish. I had my local guitar tech look at it and he told me that it was just the way the finsih had been polished - the polisher had let the polishing wheel rest too long or maybe too heavily on the one area, resulting in the 'ding'.

Anyway, that's my experiences with Spector - Czech and Korean, both really good basses for the money!!! And yes I would buy either again - in fact my next bass will probably be a Spector (if the wife let's me get any more!)
  7. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I have a Czech Spector, and I'd say it's a quality instrument all around. Professional level bass as is.
  8. Actually, the Korean made Spector basses have die-cast bridges as opposed to the brass bridges fitted on both the Czech and USA made Spectors.

There are a number of Spector owners that are fellow Talk Bass members who own Spector basses in all the price ranges. Yet, I've not heard any complaints about the quality.

I own 3 Spectors myself and feel they are of great quality.
  9. Thanks for the bridge info Mr Dead - I wasn't too sure!!!
  10. Thanks for the info everyone! I checked the Spector website and the model I'm looking at is the NS2000Q4 Holoflash Finish from the professional series. Based on what I've herd here, and the sound I got up at Mars Music from it, I Think I'm going to buy it! Thanks again for all your help!
  11. Anytime!
  12. I'm sure you'll like your new bass! Also, as more $$$ comes your way, I'm sure you'll want to move up to the next models.

Also, when you consider a second Spector, keep a lookout for the Spector NS-2A on e-bay. The NS-2A were the neck-through Korean made Spector basses built from '85-'90. Their body styles are the original NS body styles like the Europe and USA series of todays basses where as the newer Korean made Spectors are a bit offset from the original NS body style. The NS-2A bass in great shape with a case is worth about $400.
  13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I've had several Spectors (and still do) over the years from Kramer era Korean made NS2As to a USA NS. The only defect I have found is: I have a NS5-CRFM (newer 35" scale model) that will occasionally produce a "cracking" sound from the middle of the neck (internal). If this bass were a bolt on I would compare it to the sound you would hear if the neck shifted.

This "problem" has never changed my action or tuning. Physically the neck doesn't seem to change. This is still my main 5 string.

Even though I've had this bass for 2 years and only noticed the sound about 8 months ago, I emailed Spector and Stuart said not to worry. If it developed into a real problem he would "definately take care of me".
  14. Hey PB - you're awfully young to have so many Spectors and you don't look too Phat (your Avatar!!!!:D )

I think that your story speaks volumes for Stuarts attitude to customer service!!!!! It's great being able to email the mainman - you always get a response quickly (although not necessarily directly from him!) I've got an older NS-5CR (dot inlays, no figured maple top) which I love and have never had any problems with.
  15. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Quote: "Hey PB - you're awfully young to have so many Spectors."

I'm real short too. Actually the Avatar is my 4 yr. old son (He was 2 at the time).

Yea, any question I've had over the years, Spector has always got right back to me (Same with Ned Steinberger).