Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

defend a bad habbit?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Nov 21, 2004.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    have you guys ever defended a bad habbit? Ive played bass for quite a while now but early on i developed some...intersting ideas about how i played. I mainly did it so people would be like, "man why do you do that", and id just say thats just how i played. I used to set up my bass with the HIGHEST possible action ever. Like literally at least half an inch of the fretboard if not more. I think my rationale was it would make my fingers stronger or thats how uprights are setup. Neadless to say a tech lowered it for me and my speed increased tenfold. Another stupid thing i used to do is claim that i would play nothing but dead strings, i liked that bass "thump" I put a set of DR highbeams on my bass about 4 years ago and have not looked back. Just me being stupid and stubborn but i see some of the younger guys defend things sometimes that seem assinine to do on the boards. You guys have any stories like that?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Not me...

I naturally had good technique from the first day i started... not playing technique, just positional... I knew when strings sounded crappy...my only "bad habit" i spose is not practicing... ever. outside of school.

3. I tend to look at the fingerboard when I play fretless, which I suppose is a bad habit. If I totally convinced myself that I had to discontinue this, I probably could.

4. thats not a bad habit at all,its better doing that than hitting flat and sharp notes all over the place:)

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I used to have many many bad habits (hence the name). Got rid of most of them just through practicing. Used to roll my thumb over, hold it funny, bad wrists angles, and a whole slew more too. Practice will help though, just be sure of what you're doing wrong and think to not do it, and eventually it'll be as natuiral to do it correctly as it was to do it incorrectly...

Ray

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I use one finger to hold notes that are right under each other. I tend to try and do everything my self like adjustments and stuff. I don't think that last thing is a bad habbit.

7. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    What is exactly wrong with dead strings, a lot of us flatwound users use dead strings.:eyebrow:

My only really big bad habit that I had when I first started was having my strap as low is it went, which messed my wrist up for awhile. :(

Also, you "do" know that you spelled habit wrong, right :smug: :meh:

8. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    um yea...of course i knew that....its bad....darn

um yea i do like flatwounds but not on an EMG setup and i think flatwounds have their place, and the music i play is not that place really. I do really like them for jazz though.