Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defending my amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    In the spirit of fairness, if anyone has any issues with the two amps I've chosen for myself, here's a perfect opportunity to cut loose.

I have an Amplified Music Products BH-420. 420w into 4 ohms. Minimal bells and whistles but what's there works well. Small. 2 rack spaces.

Second amp is a Hughes & Kettner BassBase 600. 650w @4 ohms. 12AX7 in the preamp stage, two switchable semi-parametric EQs, lots of useful feature like a mute button, tuner out, nice switchable DI, phones out, FX mix... all on the front panel. 3 rack spaces.

These are not necccesarily the best amps for you... but I like them;)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    DuDe, Ur AmPs SuCk!!!. I hAvE a AmPeG sVt N fOr 8x10 CaBs, ThErE4 mY rIg RuLeZ!!!. U hAlF 2 HeEr It 2 B lEaVe It. So TaKe ThAt!!! HaH!!!

;)

3. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    there must be something wrong with you if youre not using what im using. i thought it was fairly well recognized that my taste in gear is the most correct. oh well!

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno does that make me a poser cuz my dream rig is a vintage SVT and a 8x10? cuz if so tell me now.

5. jtd125

jtd125

Mar 16, 2002
    Agoura Hillis, CA
    hey i think that its not what you play its how you make it sound. who cares what the amp is called.

Peace

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Dude, I think your gear sux! And, I can say that I know that for a fact, even though I've never heard either one:p

7. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    your rig does not have the words "mo' bass" or "peavey" printed anywhere on it, does it? Then you won't attract much controversy. :)

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't think your amps are any good at all. In fact, your amps are SO bad that I wonder how you even get any use out of them! Now, can I have the BassBase? ;) :D

I can't imagine anyone ragging you for those two Brad. As for me, I have to deal with a ragging everytime I jam with someone new. I have to listen to how I should have Eden, Ampeg, SWR or any other manufacturer's gear rather than the Peavey/Genz Benz stuff that I own. They're usually pretty quiet by the time that I leave though. :)

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    See what I mean? ;) :D

10. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I get a lot of flack because I use an Ampeg B4R, because it's a solid state amp.... go figure...

P@

11. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... I don't know your amps, so I will assume that you should change to mine.

You should now go buy a:

Carvin RC210 combo amp

... and a:

Ampeg Rocket 100B.

There you go. Now you can be cool.

12. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I guess I missed the controversy? Your amps seem really good to me. No prob at all.

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The shame:(

Help me gain universal acceptance for the things I like. I'm begging you.

BTW your amps suck... but not mine, dammit.

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I feel your pain... but I'm not feeling anything else.

BTW why don't you have an Ampeg? All my friends say they're the bestest.

;)

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

Dude, that was like the harshest. Like ouch even.

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    LOL!!! I guess that I'm just a glutton for punishment Brad! :D

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    In case anyone isn't in on the lame joke behind this thread, I don't care what people think about my rig. It's my rig and it's paid for... so there;). It's just not worth the angst:D

For anyone who seriously derided my gear choices in this thread, like probably Chris and RAM...

I'm going to check in with narud and get the same rig he has. He has incomprehensible taste. So there times two.

18. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    Ok everybody, for a free set of strings and while we have Mr. Johnson at hand.

Can anybody tell us what the object is behind and or to the right of Brads green bass?

I don't know what it is either but I do know its not a very good one.

19. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    you pay for your stuff? hell, that's enough reason right there why my gear is better. just dont let the folks at eden know about the window they leave open when theyre closed;)

20. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Judging by the tone and content of many of Mr. Johnson's posts, I always assumed that it was a short-necked beer bottle of some sort, and that there are many more where it came from.

Anybody else?