Defense Wins Championships

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 2, 2003.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Most of us if not all of us here that follow NFL football have heard the saying "Defense Wins Championships"

Ive always held some belief in this saying but never realized how true it actually was until I read this.

Posted below is the 2002 Season for my boyz. They were near dead last in rushing, midway in passing, but near dead last in total offense. Yet the D was totally dominant and they won the Bowl too. :)

2002 Season
    Record: 12-4 (1st in NFC South)
    Total Offense: 312.6 (24th)
    Rushing: 97.3 (27th)
    Passing: 215.3 (15th)
    Total Defense: 252.8 (1st)
    Rushing: 97.1 (T-5th)
    Passing: 155.6 (1st)
  2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

*saints fan*.

Sure, we might not be good, but we LOVE having you guys as a punching bag.
  3. *ignores polly's lame comments* :spit:

hopefully we can see a repeat buc championship! :D
  4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    I hate football.

Hockey is by far a superior sport.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Give 'em hell Polly! :D

Bucs better do something about their lame offense, because if they don't start scoring points it's gonna be a long season. Trust me, that defense is great, but everone is gonna start figuring it out soon - just like the Saints did last season (punching bag! GREAT! :D), and will do again this year.

Repeat? No, Bucs won't even win their division this year. ;)
  6. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    That main quote Cass stated might have some merit in the game to this season regarding the Bucs, but logically, does the gun kill the person or does the bullet projected from the gun kill the person? Clearly the bullet does. SO... Does defense win games? Or does offense win games? Offense, which is the whole aspect of creating plays, executing passes, kicking field goals, or getting endzone, is what makes points to win games.

So philosophically, offense wins games, yet defense has an attribute on how well the offense is played out. So the statement that defense wins games should be moot. BOTH, offense and defense win games. And on that note, this entire process deductive reasoning was just a waste of time in bringing out the real point. Synergy is key.

What the hell was that post? It made as much sense to you as it did to me, probably. :p

7. I think what Cass meant is, comparing it to your situation, the Defense steals the gun (interception, fumble) from the Offense and shoots him. Stopping their offense from scoring is just as important as your offense scoring (whoa, i totally stated the obvious there :p )

On that note, go Texans! Err Rams! No, go....::doesn't know who to go for this year::
  8. Seems kind of true. The Pats pretty much won the SuperBowl two years ago because of their defense(and Adam V:D ).