1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Define "Medium-size gig"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by headonastick, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Apologies as usual if this has been asked before, but a search didn't come up with anything.

A lot of advice in terms of amps here seems to focus around what size of gig it is required for, but I'm not sure I quite get what is meant by a "medium" as opposed to a "large" venue. Is there a "large" venue, and then "huge" (i.e. festival or stadium) after that, or what?

I ask this question primarily because I've been looking into the Phil Jones Suitcase (with extension), and it has been described as being "great for a medium-size gig". I know what I would call a medium-size venue but I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks –*so I can get an idea of how much the Suitcase can actually handle!

2. chroma601

chroma601

Feb 16, 2007
    Sylva, NC
    I'd think medium size is an average club. Small would be an intimate setting like a coffe house. Large would be an arena.

3. ogrossman

ogrossman

May 20, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN
    To me medium size is anywhere that you can still spot your buddy standing at the back of the room. A small room is one where they can hit you with their beer bottle from the back of the room.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I'll go with this one

5. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    I would say small is 50-100 people, say your average sized rural church auditorium.

Medium is 250-500 people, say your average size club or slightly larger than rural church.

Large is anything more than 500 people - say a 2500 seat auditorium.

That's what I think of...

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Small - 50-100 capacity
    Medium - 100-500
    Large - 1000+

Thats how I would break it down FWIW

7. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    It's all relative! I've played concerts for 15,000 and been able to pick out friends in the audience 200 feet away. Played for 50 people and couldn't spot my own GF ( thats a sign the relationship is probably doomed, right?)

I would say a small gig is anything under 400-500, medium is 500 to 5000, large is from 5000 to 15000 ish and then theres BIG, which is simply going up from there untill infinity.

8. Billy-Bob

Billy-Bob

Nov 4, 2005
    So Cal
    I'd say if you have to ask, you need to get out and gig at more and different venues.

Billy-Bob

9. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Hey there. My experience with the PJ suitcase and the reviews show that it's preamp section can be easily overdriven. The system also farts. The best use seems to be very quiet jazz trio cocktail work when doubling the volume of an upright. Check out the BP review. I'm sure some have had different experiences but when you mentioned medium sized rooms it would seem that a powerful mini stack would be more capable and actually more portable.

10. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA

That's about what I thought, but I'd start the Large at 500+ since that seems to be where the PAs start to get pretty serious (as do the soundtechs).

11. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    Harsh! :bag:

12. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    Does the size of the venue also depend on the performer? What is small-medium-large to us might not be the same to The Rolling Stones.

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Medium size is when someone shows up.

14. pedro

pedro

Apr 5, 2000
    Madison, WI.
    LOL!

15. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I really don't see a Phil Jones briefcase usuable for anyone's thought of a medium-sized gig. Without PA support that is.

16. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    depends on whether you're being PA'ed or not. A rig can be pretty much the same size for any gig if you are just providing monitoring.

Since I run through the PA mostly my determination is based on how far apart we are on stage, and if it's inside or outside. If it's outside it tends to also be on the bigger stages and we are spread farther apart.

It's been awhile since I've brought more than a single cab to anything but the largest indoor gig and I would always tend to bring as much as possible to something outdoor.

Right now, a Shuttle-6 through a single 8-ohm 112 (elevated to ear-level) is more than enough since we have been working hard on reducing stage volume. I can throw a couple extra 2x10s and another head (NeoPak) in there and I can't imagine needing to be any louder.

Bringing a single cab to ear level has been the biggest improvement to my ability to hear on stage (and not be overly loud). I mean elevating it--not just sitting it on the floor and pointing it up.

17. How do the rest of the band hear U in this situ?? IEM's or just thru the stage monitors? If it's thru stage monitors I-for one- HATE doing that!!!!!!!!! The sound of 'em is wierd, it's comin at U from the front/side, being controlled by a S/Engineer. EQ'd..???.. Just aint MY thing. But each to his.her own. If it works for U - Good on U.
    was just wondering these things tho???

18. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    ""How do the rest of the band hear U in this situ?? IEM's or just thru the stage monitors?""

neither---just from what's coming through my single 12 and whatever lowend bleeds over from the house PA/bins.

The others are also at a fairly low volume and our drummer also keeps a controlled volume. The only one who has a bit of a problem is our lead gui****. The level we play at forces him to come down if he wants to hear the rest of the band.

Once you get used to playing at low stage volume it sounds loud as **** when you do crank it up. That being said, we are known for being one of the louder bands in the area.

19. Sheeeeeeiiiiiiiit Thats amazing. Maybe our Drummer hits HARD er still I DO know his DW kit is one of the loudest around!! But I couldn't use a 1x12" -NO WAY- we're an 8 piece old school soul/funk band - NO BIG Marshall stax ar nuthin' but the sheer fact of 8 ppl & instruments MAKES NOISE & a LOT of it. I used to get by w/ a single 15", but band was ALWAYS saying to turn up, or turn the cab round so they could hear it!
    Now I use My Bergantino NV610 & have NO probs either way!!! Tho tonite I'm gonna use the Aguilar GS112 & GS115 together for the 1st time. Will let TB know hoe it goes. Powering with an Ampeg V4BH tonite!

20. tolson36

tolson36

Oct 20, 2003
    ""we're an 8 piece""

well that's a key---farther stage spread no doubt and the addition of more competition for frequencies ---still everyone must try to play almost ridiculously low to reduce stage volume and the more people--the less likely you can get everyone under control.

Once you do get to a lower level though--you can hear everyone easier--it seems clearer with everything more defined. Vocalists sing much better.

I've always like outdoor sound better than indoor assuming you can hear everyone. I think that's because of the reduced bouncing around of sound waves. Indoors--bringing levels down, accomplishes a similar affect.

note also, the 12" cab I use has a pretty efficient speaker and I have a fair amount of power available. It's going to be mid-focused when elevated (because you hear the mids better mainly). FOH still has a well-balanced sound. The rest of the band is going to hear you much more on the lowend both because they aren't in line with your cone and because of the FOH lowend bleed.

In this elevated configuration, it is possible for me to hear myself too well and the band not enough. But after years of having the opposite problem (and constantly being harassed to turn down)--this is ok.to me.

When that happens (not loud enough for band)---I can turn the cone away from my ears (left or right) and turn up a little more.