Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Define "the pocket"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tyler Dupont, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

not sure if this is the right forum... move as needed..

Ok, I've been jamming with this guy, and he says the stuff he writes is all about the pocket. I think I know what he means.. but I'm not totally sure.. so here it is... Define "the pocket" .. also any mp3's you can suggest to check out would be helpful..

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Where the bass drum is.

Unfortunately, no one can be told what the pocket is. It is something you have to see for yourself.

3. U can't hold no groove...
    If u ain't got no pocket.

This has been discussed here before, but since I'm too lazy to dig it up in a search...
    Basically, (I think) it's when then drummer & bass player lock in/click/feel each other/feel the groove/can sense each other musically etc.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Ever notice that some people can tell a joke and make everyone laugh, and other people tell the same joke and everyone just stares at em blankly. It's all in the delivery. Bass is the same. Yep he's talking about nailing the groove. Unfortunately it's one of those things that you can't teach someone and it may not even be you that's responsible. I've worked with many a delusional muso who incesantly babble about the groove and the pocket but can't even keep time.

The good news is that it's something that you develop sub-consciously. Try to concentrate on what your picking hand is doing and worry less about what your fingering hand is doing. Your playing will start to flow and groove.

5. know anything about taoism? if so, the pocket is like the tao. the tao is a force of nature, that governs the world. the pocket governs music; it's the rhythm and the feel. you work to achieve it, but you cannot give it a concrete definition, or it will be lost. you gotta feeeeel it. how do ya get it? time, patience, and diligence. that's my understanding of the pocket.
    don't listen to me though; i'm not smart or knowledgeable about anything.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The place where I keep "the keys."

brad cook

7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    it is up to each one's interpretation. To me?

The pocket is where you stop hearing the music, and you start feeling it.

8. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    It's where I play, "the pool."

9. Sinker

Sinker

Dec 4, 2002
    Newark, DE USofA
    I've always used 'the pocket' to describe a space in time imperceptably behind the beat; kinda like 'laying back.' Remember the Keep On Truckin' cartoon? The way that guy leans way back to walk is to me a visual representation of the pocket.

Listen to the bass part on Santana's 'Black Magic Woman.' It sounds like the bass is dragging, but to me it's in the pocket.

Of course, I could be wrong.

-Sinker-

10. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
    The pocket, defined to me.. is in the song
    You Never Know by The Dave Matthews Band

Stefan is just in a groove... In the pocket, locked with everything. He's locked in with The Drums, with Dave's singing and guitar playing. He is like the backbone to that song.