definetely not trying DR Black Beauties again

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by xcental34x, Mar 6, 2005.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I decided to try Black Beauties, thinking it'd be a nice change, and a great chance to get back into using DRs. Well I slapped some on my P-bass and Stingray. The coating already started coming off after only two days. I found myself tuning these things after only a couple of notes. They never would stay in tune. And now, after only three weeks, they're dead. Really not quite what I was looking for. I found a couple of old Ernie Ball strings I had laying around, slapped them on my P-bass, and I'm happier than poo with the sound. Much brighter, and I don't feel like child. I'll be heading to Guitar Center later today to pick up some DR Hi-Beams.
  2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I didn't have your problems with my BB's, but Highbeams are definately the way to go,
  3. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, two bad sets is more than enough for me to say I've had my fair share.

4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Stainless Steel Lo Riders is how i go.
  5. I've put 2 sets on my fretless w/no problems. Sounds like you got some of a bad batch.
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Call DR and express your displeasure/problem with them. I've used quite a few sets of BB's and they should not be performing like that. I would definately let DR know about it. I am almost positive that they will send you at least two replacement sets at their cost for you to re-evaluate. DR is very customer-supportive in my opinion and anytime I have had a complaint they have bent over backwards to help me out.
  8. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    I love the Nickel Lo Riders. I put them on my fender and just dig them. I plan on puting them on my five string as well.
  9. PlayTheBass

PlayTheBass aka Mac Daddy

Dec 7, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    I think complaining to DR is a good idea. I play them on my P and they sound great, feel great, and last just fine. The coating seems to come off on the "heavy traffic" areas after a couple months, but I don't mind the look so I leave them on until they're really dead.

On my J, I like the Highbeams.
  10. I also had trouble with my Black Beauties... But Lowriders!!! They Rock!!!
  11. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I am a DR fanatic but I don't what they were thinking with the colored string thing....I did not get it.
  12. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    if you use a pick, expect them to fray like that. all coated strings do.

when i had this problem with elixir, i bitched, they sent me free single strings.
  13. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Definately sounds like a bad batch of strings. If your wanting black strings I highly recommend Black Diamond coated strings. I use them on my BC and absoulutely love the tone. I do my initial tune on them and then check them again the next day. They hold tune as well as DR's.

Armybass, black coated strings look really nice on my white with black hardware bass. I also like having something that looks different than everything else.
  14. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well, the problem was solved by simpy clipping the Black Beauties off, throwing them away, and putting an older set of Ernie Ball Hyrbrid Slinkies on my P-bass and DR Lo-Riders on my P-bass. I'm not looking back.
  15. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've never tried BB's but I use HB's and they're fantastic. The best strings out there as far as I'm concerned. I've also tried some LR's and they're great as well. I'm sure you just got a bad batch.
  16. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i really think its all a matter of opinion.

cause i got a few free sets of black diamon coated strings and they lasted one show.
  17. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    I think they might send you HiBeams or LoRiders if you ask..