1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defining "Boom"

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Funky 1, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Funky 1

Funky 1

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicagoland
    My band has recorded a demo, but we need to remaster one of the songs, partly because it sounds boomy to me. Since I will not be able to be there when it's remastered, I'd like to give the engineer the frequency range so that he can adjust it. He probably knows what the frequency range would be, but I'd like to suggest one anyway.

Thanks

2. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Somewhere in the 60Hz-250Hz range probably.

3. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    The boomyness might not be so much the bass, depending on the type of music. If the kick and guitars were not eq'd correctly. in the mix they could be adding to many bass frequencies as well. Each instrument has to be eq'd so that it has it's own frequency slot so to speak.

You can't just lay down a track with your live sound and leave it. It might sound good all by it'self but when you add more insturments coming through the same two speakers you need to balance with eq.

Its easy to tell if this is the case. When you mix and all the instruments are level with each other volume wise, if the bass dissapears the other instruments have too much bass in them.

Looking at the tracks visually while mixing, most of them should all be level with each other....depending on where you want leads and vocals and color tracks. Then to make things stand out properly you don't boost the volume, you use subtractive EQ so that things can be heard in the mix. For instance you take some bass frequency off the kick and the bass usually appears. Still muddy, edge off some bass of the distorted guitars. A little goes a long way. Taking a little bass off guitars and kicks isn't even noticeable to their tone quality but it often makes the bass easily heard without it being turned up in the mix.

This happens a lot in heavy music where the gui****s do drop tunings and such and add a lot of bass to their guitar tone.

boominess needs to be fixed before mastering, in the mix, usually with eq.

If you go staight to mastering to fix the boominess it's probably not going to sound right, since you'd be taking the frequencies responsible for the boominess off of every single track, it would effectively cut the balls off the song.

4. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    "boom" means that there is a resonance in the low end (or maybe mid.low end).

A decent engeneer should be able to recognize the resonanse and EQ the track so it dissapear.

5. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    And also, the resonance its usually in a narrow band of frecuancy, and that band itsnot standard for all bass resonances.

The best way to take the resonance away without destroying the mix is to lower JUST THAT band, and not a wider band. That means we CANT tell you what frequencys to remove.

Do you have Nuendo or other DAW installed in your computer ?

6. My bass amp tends to get boomy in the low mids which can be easily solved with the eq.

It may be as simple as that on your recording if the boom you're hearing is simply a result of the bass. If its a more complex product of the mix then it may take a considerable amount more work to get it just right.

It would be very difficult to pinpoint a specific frequency. How is the playback on different systems? In the car, home stereo, computer speakers, etc.

7. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    Ok, here is how to reduce BOOMness:

*Get t software with a paremetric EQ.
    (A parametric EQ should have at least 3 controls, GAIN; FREQ; Q)(most pluggins have more than 1 Parametric EQs in a row, you will need only one)

*Set the gain to max and the Q to max. (Q to max is were the peak becomes narrow).

*Start moving the FREQ control around the spectrum until the point were the BOOMness becomes REALLY HUGE. Try to nail the EXACT frecuency were the resonance is. (it should be in the low end or mid-low register).

*Then change the GAIN control from max, to the value you want. Seting it to MIN will completely remove the resonance, but also it will make disapear some infomation you may want. So try -8db ; -6db ; -4 db ; -2 db and decide which is best for your situation.

Take in consideration the following things:

Resonances (boomness in this case) may be caused for many reasons, including the acoustincs of the room you are hearing the mix!!! or you PC speakers.

I recomend removing the resonance, and exporting both tracks (with and without the resonance) and hear both in different audio setups, in different places. If the EQed is better in any case, that means the track needed EQ, is not, that means the resonance was not in the track, but in your audio setup or acoustics.

8. stranger0

stranger0

May 10, 2007
    I gotta try that...thanks