Definition of "Punch" ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jun 6, 2005.

1. chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I have heard a lot of bass cabs/sounds described as "punchy." What exactly does this term mean? Is it along the lines of EQ setting, or is it more a feature of specific equipment? Thanks!
  2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Punch can be rather subjective. What some may call punchy I might not and vice versa.

To me punch is like when someone pops a note and it makes you flinch. Its that sudden POW from a note you can feel punching you right in the chest. Its not pushing but hitting you. Smacking you.[​IMG] Thats the definition of punch in my book.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    here try this thread for some EQ talk. IMO, the 2nd band of frequencies i cover usually = "punch"

but yes, it is subjective as all get out. It can also refer to a speaker that reacts very quickly. IMO, "punch" is usually a low mid thing, but can be anywhere in the midrange bands.

I used to have an ideal "punchy" tone that i called the "baseball bat" . Recently my drummer dubbed my tone "the nail gun", and that's kinda stuck. :smug:
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I seem to recall some Peavey combos that had a knob you could pull for "punch".....if I remember correctly the actual tone did not define the actual word very well ;)
  5. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Its written in really tiny letters...right here on my fist, have a look! :D
  6. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    It's when you play an "E" on the 7th fret of the "A" string and you give yourself a nosebleed. My Aguilar stuff does that. Sometimes it's scary. I believe that "punch" also:

1. Makes your bell bottoms flap on stage

2. Makes the drummer's toupe fly off

3. Vibrates all the nuts and bolts out of the drum kit

4. Turns the guitarist's "wank" button to the off position
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

From low to high:

Rumble, woof, phat, thud, punch, growl, burp, honk, grind, presence, zing, sizzle, and shimmer.

8. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    That answers every question I've ever had about the bass!
  9. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    It's never been very clear to me so I tend not to use the term.

I interpret it to mean 'fast attack' or rise time of the envelope.
  10. I agree with everything, except I would change the order of burp and honk :D
  11. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    To help identify these ranges: Rumble you feel in you feet(when the ground is shaking), Woof and Phat is felt more in the mid bowels, and Punch is felt more in the stomach to sternum area. I also try to to eliminate thud and burp from my personal tonal pallet, those are my least favorite.
  12. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Punch is when the thump from your "E" string shakes the guitar player's stomach so hard that he vomits on stage. True story. Fettucini Alfredo with a half a loaf of garlic bread, and apple pie. He blamed it on my 8x10 cabinets but I told him he just needed to chew his food better. Don't try to clean that goo out of your grill cloth until the next day or you will just work it in even deeper. Wait until it dries real good and then loosen it with a toothbrush and a vacuum cleaner nozzle. :smug:
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The things you learn here. Tip of the month!
  14. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Joe OMG ...for gods sake the damn funniest thread I've read in weeks.
    almost tops the "fer******sake!! please do not get lazy and slap an E string in your a string nut......" thread.