Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

'Definitive' Blues

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Camel_spit, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Hey everyone, I need a little bit of help here. My bass teacher has asked me to compile a CD with different music 'feels' on it - jazz, rock, Latin etc. - and I was going pretty well until I hit Blues. Now I'm definitely not what you'd call a blues fan, so what I'm wondering is if anyone has any ideas as to what blues song I should add to the CD. I'm after one that sort of 'is' blues, you know, using the 12 bar pattern, fairly slow etc., and one that isn't too long would be a bonus. Any help would most certainly be welcomed and appreciated. Thanking you all kindly.

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Investigate Stevie Ray Vaughn my favourite is Mary had a little lamb (it's in the From Dusk till Dawn bar scene)but it's not that slow.

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    "Freddie Freeloader" from Miles' Kind Of Blue...it's about 10 minutes long, though.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    As much fun as this song is to play with my classic rock cover band (and we do a jam/improv vamp outro for added yucks!) this isn't a song I'd present as a defining example of the blues. Nor anything by SRV. You need sumpin' off a really old scratchy record, because that's what the Brothers and Stevie were probably listening to an inspired by. On the other hand, this ain't no dissertation I guess, so go ahead and use either of those if ya want - just a suggestion that you can dig back a layer deeper to the artists that influenced these guys... Personally, I'd be thinking of names like Leadbelly, Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker and the like. Sorry, I'm not enough of a musicologist to offer you and choice titles. :(

:)

5. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    If you want real blues, pick up a CD by any of the greats and give it a listen. The late Muddy Waters is probably my favorite.

6. Any song by Muddy Waters, Willie Dixon, Blind Lemon, Robert Johnson, Elmore James, Albert King, Lightning Hopkins, Jimmy Reed, Little Walter, Freddie King, Nappy Brown, Jack Dupree, Leadbelly, John Lee Hooker, Johnny Otis...........

BTW: what makes you think a classic blues is a 12 bar? The 12 bar is a form which solidified its place with the advent of the electric blues, ie: Muddy Waters. Old blues can be any form, quite often 14, 16, or 24 bars. Some had no chordal form, they were one or maybe two chord songs. Also, old blues masters often had no regard for timing, they often put in 2/4 bars and sped up or slowed the tempo.

7. I'm downloading 'Can't Lose What You Ain't Never Had' by Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, it sounds to me like a good defining example of blues.
    Marty, I say the 12 bar pattern for blues simply because it's the one that seems to be most commonly used to me, and besides, it's the pattern I'm most familiar with.
    And another thing - if you could all take a look at the list of styles/feels below and tell me if there are any glaring no-shows there it would be much appreciated.

Jazz
    Blues
    Metal
    Funk
    Punk
    Rock
    Reggae
    Soul
    Latin
    Country
    Folk
    Rap/hip-hop
    Pop (even though it's not an actual style, as such)
    Techno
    Grunge

Am I missing any obvious ones?

Thanking you all again.

8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    See if you can find T-bone shuffle by T-bone walker.

Classic shuffle 12 bar Jump blues and prabally 3 minutes

AJ

9. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    BB King has some really good slower 12 bar blues stuff...

10. Man, I think your agenda is too broad. For example; what do you call a classic latin tune? Define latin....
    are you talking......
    Cuban
    Chilean
    Peruvian,
    Purto Rican
    Columbian
    Brazilian
    Salsa
    Bolero
    Cumbia
    Merengue
    Samba
    Guajira
    Rhumba
    Bossanova
    Latin Jazz
    Folk
    Guaracha
    Chachacha
    Tango

Most of the above can offer "classic" examples, in their genre. I'm not trying to be pedantic, I just see your definitions as too vague.

Jazz:

Traditional
    Dixieland
    Bebop
    Neoclassic
    Fusion
    The cool jazz
    Free jazz
    Classical jazz
    Latin jazz
    New Orleans

You get the picture.........