Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defret it, trade, or keep it as is

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CanadianBass48, Mar 11, 2006.

1. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I just got a used washburn taurus 25 am I really am diggin it. BUT I have another Washburn (don't know the brand) that is a fiver. I am really looking for a 5 string fretless. Here are my oppions.

1. Defrett my Taurus

2. See if I can trade it for another five string fretless

3. Keep it as is...I'm not really satisfied with this one

Question. This bass is a though neck bass. I thought that it might be cool as a fretless but will this cause any problems that I don't know about.
    If defreting is the case, is there a good shop around south WI. that is good.
    Is defretting usually secessful?

Seth

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I don't see why defretting it would be a problem regardless of neck style. The bigger question is can you live with it if you don't like it as a fretless.

3. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    I think that I will be able to live with it. I have another bass that is almost like it (sort of). I have just really been getting into playing fretless lately but I wish that I had a 5 stringer. Man, when I am makeing more $$$$ I would like to get an F bass. I have yet to descide though if I want it fretless or fretted. I have never played a fretless 5er so this little project right now would be like the trial run to see what F bass I what. I really think that I will love this bass when defretted.

Seth

4. I'd go for it it I were you ONLY if I could find the right guy to do it with the right references that his work is good. A bad "de-fret" could be the end of that bass! If it worked out and the price was right, (i.e. cheaper than buying a whole bass...), then you'd probably be very satisfied with it. I guess it will all hinge on finding the right guy to do it.

Good luck!

5. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can
    so it comes down to "Its all about who you know". I guess that I will start looking for somebody.

Anybody know about how much this will cost to defret?

Seth

6. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    just do it yourself! read all the threads, buy the proper tools,
    and have at er! Its not like you are wrecking a 3000 dollar bass,you know! besides, It is a lot of fun, and if you hate it, SELL IT !!! good luck buddy!

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I don't know, but probably more than you'd want to invest in this bass. Once you get some prices, I think you're going to see your viable options are - do it yourself, or don't remove the frets.

8. CanadianBass48

CanadianBass48

May 8, 2005
    Ont, Can

I got a hold of a guy who will do it for 100. He seems to have a good reputation. He just sold one of his jobs on ebay. It looked rather nice. I might be going this may if nobody wants to trade for a fretless. This bass will be swee though.

9. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Let us know how you made out.