1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DeFret My Kala U bass????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassbones2, Mar 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bassbones2

bassbones2 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2013
    Nicholasville Kentucky
    So I have the classic "Klackaty Klack" sound and some sketchy intonation with my Kala U bass. Can I solve these problems by yanking the frets out?

JB

2. DLemos

DLemos

Sep 7, 2015
    Fretless should be the only way of life!

Ale the Snail likes this.
  3. JonKim

JonKim

Nov 15, 2011
    Might be better to just sell it here and buy a used fretless

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If the intonation is off where the frets are, it'll be off where the frets aren't.

gebass6 likes this.
  5. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Anything that short in scale is difficult to play in tune when fretless. I had a fretless Ashbory bass once, and though I play fretless bass, I found it very difficult to play in tune. Think about it - if you are an eighth of an inch off on a 34" scale, the note will be out of tune a certain degree. But on a u-Bass, the intonation will be 1.7 times as bad for the same eighth-inch misplacement. I gave up on short-scale fretless.

6. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Agree with Turnaround. I de-fretted a 30" short-scale bass once and it was really difficult to play. Learned my (expensive) lesson and re-fretted it.