Defret with paint job questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gogmagog, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Hi all, I'm working on defretting my bass; got all the frets out no problem. What I'm wanting to do, though, after I get the wood filler in where the frets used to be and after I get it all sanded down, I want to do a paint job on the fret board. I'm wondering what concerns I should be aware of, and what might be the best kind of paints and finish to put on it.

I'm thinking that as long as the paint and finish play nice (one doesn't mix badly with the other), I should be ok. I'm also thinking about using an all-purpose spray paint as the first coat, so that I can also paint the pick guard to match the color scheme. The bass is a Squier P-Bass.
  2. If your fretboard is rosewood, you are going to have major problems getting your paint to stick under the stress of playing. Rosewood is naturally oily and very porous and that all works against a paint coating.

IMO, leave the neck alone and save yourself a major headache
  3. It's a Korean-made Squier P-bass, so I'm pretty sure the fretboard isn't rosewood, though I'm not sure exactly what kind of wood it is (maybe maple?).
  4. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    What colour is the wood? Maple is a light yellowish colour. rosewood is a reddish brown. I agree that painting a rosewood board would cause nothign but problems. I assume it could be done with some sealer or somethign to block the pores in the wood. This would probably be difficult and time consuming though. I'd say leave it alone.

5. It's a light yellow color.
  6. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I'm nto very knowlegable (sp?) at wodworking, but I think this should be easier than a rosewood board. hopefully someone who knows what they're talkign abotu will help you out with what to do. :ninja:

7. rolnaldo33

Mar 24, 2004
    what kind of painting are you planning on? if you wanna just make it one solid color, i'd suggest using a polyurathane based paint, but all in all, just leave it as is, the strings are gonna peel the paint off eventually no matter what
  8. Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    I had a guitar with a painted fretboard and didn't like the way it felt.