Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

defreting a ibanez bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zavala, Mar 26, 2003.

1. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    i own 2 ibanez basses that are pretty much the same. i want to defret the lower SR885 model, but i don't know anything about the frets on ibanez basses. does anyone have any suggestions on how to do it? i'm worried about the neck because it's a painted neck. and the laquer goes all the way up the the edge of the fret board. and i don't want it to crack when i try to pull them out..

please help!

2. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    no ones has any thoughts on this at all?

3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Are you really gonna defret your high end ibanez?? don't do it, get a fretless you might ruin it.

4. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    I defretted my ibanez 405 a few months back. I have to warn you that I was not overly concerned with cosmetic outcome, so I won't give you any tips on how to "properly" defret a bass (there are plenty of threads on the subject here). I will tell you that the frets did come out relatively easy using a knife blade to lift the frets. The frets didn't appear to be glued, but did have teeth that caused some slight chipping of the fret board. I filled in the slots with a light colored wood filler, and coated it with poly. Sorry I don't have any pics.

I was pleased with the results, but I didn't have a high standard. If you want your bass to look pristine, you may want to go with a professional. But if your willing to accept some risk and save some money, have at it. Just take your time.

5. zavala

zavala

Mar 6, 2003
    Tennessee
    Defret my SR1305, are you crasy! no no no i just last night defreted my SR885 that was my first bass. they came out pretty easy only some slight slight chips came out. but i sanded it down with some 600 and 800 grit sand paper. so it's smoooooth. now i just have to decide what type of filler i want to use. i don't really want to use a lighter color fret filler because it might show the chipping. is just haveing dot markers enough?

6. amac

amac

Oct 9, 2002
    Commerce, Georgia
    If you don't want to have fret lines at all, it's been suggested to take the dust from the sanding and mix it will a filler to match the color of your fretboard.

As far as the dot markers being enough? Side dots - Probably so. If you want lines, you may want to try styrene. You can search the posts about that and other "fillers."

Let us know how it plays and sounds.