1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defreting a Ibanez SR506?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ClaytonH, May 10, 2010.

1. ClaytonH

ClaytonH

Mar 10, 2009
    Hudson, OH
    I would want to get a fretless 6-string but due to my "lack" of funds, that can't happen (as in "lack" I mean none). So I', faced with the delema of either A) Forget about it and wait till more funds are in or B) Defret my current sixer and mabey confront the worst desicion in my life. I don't know. I never had defreted a neck before but I'm pretty handy when it comes to a soldering iron and a pair of pliers. Would it be a good idea to go forth with this project?

2. benchpress11782

benchpress11782 Supporting Member

May 23, 2007
    Doing that now to my sr 506. Took frets out, filled it in w veneer, glue it in, sanded it down, and put epoxy over it. Coming very nice. Just waiting for my radius block to fine sand, and trim nut down. Still have a ways to go. So far so good though. Use iron and take ur time.

3. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I say hold your horses and wait until funds become available. You may be handy but do you want to risk ruining your bass?

4. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    I did it to my GSR 190 within 6 months of playing bass. It was my only bass too. I am extremely glad I did, as it forced me to play better and I had much more control over the bass.

Can you do it without messing it up? Sure. I'm no where near luthier level and I had very minimal fretboard chipping with just one visible chip from 5 feet away, and even then, the wood putty filled it in nicely. So, yeah, but realize if you do this there is not turning back. AND MAKE SURE YOU GET A SANDING BLOCK THAT MATCHES THE SR RADIUS. IF you don't you end up possibly screwing your neck.

5. Gopher Bob

Gopher Bob

Nov 24, 2001
    Florida
    I did my first defret on a kramer bass from musicyo. I pulled those frets so well it was beautiful... no joke.

Then I messed up on sanding and keeping a proper radius... it was unplayable. Probably a good idea to get some kind of radius sanding contraption. Else just do very very little sanding.

If it is a bass you love I would not defret it. I hated that kramer so it worked out perfect... had some fun with it which is more than I can say for actually playing that thing.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

I defretted my SR506, and have yet to finish it two years later. I didn't have a radius sanding block at the time. Now that I have the block, I don't have the motivation to finish it. The high end of the fingerboard, about fret 17 to 24, is high, and needs to be leveled out. If I could get the time to finish it, it would be awesome.