Defreting vs. Fingerboard replacement

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iareplaythebass, Mar 15, 2004.

1. I'm looking to either defret the next bass I buy or replace its fingerboard with ebony.

First question:What fingerboard woods defret well? Which do not?

Second Q:What would the price difference be between defretting and fb replacement?

Third Q:How about tonal advantages of certain woods? which will give me a very growly tone?

And Q nubmer 4: What woods will take fingerwear well and where can I find the polyester coating used by pedulla?

Thanks Folks!
  2. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How about buying a fretless in the first place?
    Cheaper, more reliable, better... :confused: :confused: :confused:
  3. I've considered that option, but I can't find any fretless on the market with electronics I like that isn't freakin expensive... So I'm going with a bass I like the electronics and feel of (probably an older tobias growler) and just have it converted. Thanks :smug:
  4. As far as the fingerboard coating on Pedulla's is concerned, it is called DiamondKote. I've heard it can found at some larger chain hardware stores like Lowes. I've also heard it's about $50 for a small tin. I've always used Spar Poly-Eurothane and done at least 30 coats, but I had a pedulla buzz years ago and would love to try the DiamondKote myself. :)
    Good Luck,
  5. I wonder if there's someone who does this kind of work with diamondkote that would be interested in the hundreds of fretless players who LOVE the pedula fingerboards' finish. Whoever it is, let me know, I'd be willing to spend the bucks or so on a quality polyester resin finish. (as long as they undercut pedullas price of 450 or whatever it is. )

Also, anybody know where said "small tin" of diamondkote can be bought? I might as well try this thing! :)

Peace :smug:
  6. Skips

Feb 19, 2003
    FWIW, F-bass uses Diamondkote as well.