1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Defretted basses - let's see em!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WRXbase, Apr 11, 2009.

1. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Me 1st. Self done, no bad spots. The fingerboard is plain Maple, and I wanted it to match the guard, so I stained it. I had to do the sides to match. Super glue "finish" on it. Plays great!

defretted_OLP002.

defretted_OLP007.

defretted_OLP010.

defretted_OLP011.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Wow, you can tell that MM has seen it fair share if play.

3. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    How does the thumbrest stay on?

4. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Double-sided tape. Thinking of taking it off, though. I keep my thumb anchored to the p-up.

Not really. I think it spent some time under my sanding block when I was getting the fingerboard coated. :/

5. Cool...

I just bought a beater pbass that someone has ripped, yup ripped, the fret wire out of. One of my students is a woodshop guy (dad is a carpenter) and is working on taking out the divots. As soon as I get a chance I'll take pix and keep this thread updated on the progress...

Superglue? are you kidding? really? :) wow.

what did you fill the wire slots with?

6. crapshoot

crapshoot

Apr 11, 2007
    My Yamaha BBN4III.
    Finished with a dark color and transparent PU-based laqcuer
    [​IMG]

7. Here's the first defret i did, '92 B.C. Rich Innovator, the best thing about it was that it had huge jumbo frets which made um really easy to grab and pull out. The lines look allot brighter in the pic as you can barely see them in person. I filled the slots with Elmers Wood Epoxy that i died red with india ink :bassist:
    redneck.
    redbody.
    And here is the defret I'm currently working on, a new Dean Edge 6
    I've gotten all the slots filled and almost all the sanding done just waiting on the body to get back from the shop with a new preamp installed:D used the wood epoxy on this one as well but tried to match the board, it'll match better when it's oiled,
    I'll be sure to post up a pic when she's complete
    and by the way how do you like the super glue finish on your neck WRXBASE?? I've been trying to decide whether to super glue mine or use epoxy

8. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
  9. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    Yeah. I wanted something that wasn't messy and dried faster than epoxy. I didn't want a super shiny finish either.

I filled the slots with epoxy. I had an issue with the neck getting a front bend in it when I defretted it. I had to put it in a jig and heat lamp it to get the back bend in it. I ended with JUST the right amount. No truss rod adjustment needed, currently.

138BASS: I like the finish. It wasn't too difficult to lay on. You do have to be careful about getting it level. I used model sanding films taped to my sanding block. I still had to stop ever 3 or 4 passes and unload the glue off the film. Kind of a pain, but worth it for a $80 fretless. :)

--- I also popped out the lame-o plastic fretboard dots, and filled them with wood glue and paper towels. I topped it off with super glue.