Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretted essex

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dean_CustomJazz, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    After I played my sunburst essex jazz i realized something. The fret playability sucks! Solution? Take them out!

After severing my thumb (nearly getting stitches) I had all the frets out. I puddyed the lines, sanded the sucker down, and bolted her back on.
    :eek: WOW!
    It sounds and plays like a dream. the mwuah is just perfect! the action is absolutley perfect, and the relief is just right. All I can say is it's totally worth defretting one of these cheap wonders. Brings brand new life into and already good bass. All i have left to do is install the brass nut, and epoxy the whole thing, to protect it and make it nice and shiney!

MORAL: Defrett your essex jazz.

2. Heh. Cheap bass...turned fretless is always waaaaaaay cool.

3. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Defreting cheap basses is the way to go. I defretted my Hammer Slammer P copy, and I absolutley love it now.

4. another moral- use ground-down pincers/cutters to remove frets....

5. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    if you do de-fret that thang you might have to shim the neck.
    When you take the frets out the tension on the neck increases. To compensate for this you may have to shim the neck in the neck pocket to give a bit more angle to the neck.

just something to look for.

6. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I am actually finding this out now. I finished it up last night, and when I played it this morning, :eek:
    I needed to adjust the action majorly, which helped for the most part.

Can you give me some more detail on how to do this?

7. get a old credit card. cut it. to radom size's. put in the neck pocket. it mite take a few trys.

8. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Also, you may want to check with a local Home Depot or something similar. I don't remember the name of the product but it's used on end-caps and such and it's actually kind of like a piece of wood that is semi-permanant. It's ironed on and you can trim it with a knife to fit the neck pocket. I had the tech who does my repair work use it to tighten up the tension on one of my older P basses. I will try and get a pic/more info if it's something you would like more info on. It works really well and is rock solid. Really helped the tension without having to do a lot of mod's to the pocket. You could probably even go to the hardware store and just describe it and they'd know what you are talking about.
    Alan

9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    I finally got some pics, check them out:
    [​IMG]

10. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    Body close up: