1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

defretted maple neck?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by project_c, Feb 23, 2016.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Considering buying an old Fender maple neck that's been defretted, so I can fill the slots and end up with a lined fretless maple neck. The neck seems to be in decent condition for its age.

Is there anything I should look out for, or any reason why this would be a bad idea? I will ask a luthier to fill the gaps, I won't do it myself, and i'd just like to end up with a fretless lacquered Fender maple neck, but with lines.

2. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    For most use just a lacquered finish won't be enough protection from string wear. You might get by for some time with a soft touch and flatwounds, but it would be better to do a ca or epoxy finish. Otherwise I see no problems. I think maple fretless necks look really good, but sound best with a good epoxy top. And you'll have absolute freedom in string choice.

3. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks! I'd be using it with tapewound strings so the damage will be minimal, but then again I dig in quite hard. I'll get a decent luthier to get it sorted in any case.