Defretted My.. !

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Microbass, Jun 8, 2003.

bet ya'll thought i'd me Grabber under the knife!
    Shame on you!! :)

I got bored, so I decided to defret my beater bass. I looked he rout from ehr dark little corner beside my closet, whiped out a modelling knife. Yep. THAT easy! All I had to do was prise the fret up. crappy fret job!!

I can't believe I had never noticed what I found today - the fretboard had next to no radius, except for a huge lump that had been unevenly sanded at the 15-19th fret around the G & D string areas! :rolleyes:

I put some Rotosound 33 CL 45-90 Strings on 'er, and she sounds pretty good. Lots of MWAH!!

I've smoothed out the board, but I have yet to fill in the fret gaps, as one would like daddy's help with the wood filler... :)

i have a clip, its around 3 MB, AIM/MSN/ICQ me if you want it! i don't have anywhere to upload it at the moment!

2. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Defreting an old instrument is a great way to breathe new life into it. I defretted and old bass that I hadn't played in years, and now I play it quite regularly.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Dude, I was ready to kill you and eat your mother if you did that to your grabber.

Don't do any thing to it.
  4. Heh, if you'd done that to the Grabber, I've... well, let's say it would have been painful. :)

What was your beater bass?
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Oh man, makes you want to cry. :D

"If my bass could talk..."
  6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

It looks like a few miles of bad road. Couldn't have happened to a nicer instrument.