1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defretted P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by HunsBassist, May 4, 2005.

1. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I'm having a problem with my Fretless Squier Standard P-Bass. I love this bass to death, but I hardly ever use it. My brother suprised me with it for my birthday about six months ago and defretted it. But every time I play it (especially when I play fingerstyle on the low strings) I get this weird, almost Distortion sound when playing through an amp. Is this a result of the defretting (it's either that or the fact that this was a used bass that he got for $100 at Guitar Center and it might've been like this before it was defretted). I would really appreciate anyone that's been in a similar situation to shed some light on what's going on. Can anyone help me?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Hey that happened too mine too! Only through crappy amps though.

Maybe you can raise the action or lower the pups. I'm wondering the answern to this problem too.

Are you using flatwounds?

3. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Please forgive me for my ineptness, but I don't know the difference between Flatwounds and Roundwounds. I'm not even sure what kind I use

4. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Thank you so much. I don't know if this will work yet. But I will pass this on to my brother (who does all my maintenance for me cause he knows a heck of a lot more about it than me). Again thanks. I'll post again on whether it works or not for other people that have this problem.

5. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I just tried it. It seemed to work through my Kramer practice amp, but it's a rather unreliable one. I'm gonna put it to the ultimate test tonight. I'm going to gig with it for the first time through my Electar 65 watt amp. If it doesn't work out, I'll try it a few more times, but I'm very optimistic that it will work. Thank you SO MUCH!!!!

6. gilbert46

gilbert46

Sep 21, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    flat wounds are smooth strings and dont eat up the fingerboard, roundwounds are what are normally used, they are like little saw blades on a fretless neck. if you didnt change the strings chances are they are roundwound. You will grouve the neck if u use them for a long time. Flats will prevent this and give you a cool thud/mwah sound you associate with a fretless bass.

rounds are like this ^^^^^^ flats are like this ---------

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-15463.html

7. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    But when buying strings, how do I tell the difference?

8. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Just adding, the gig went great. No distortion. No Overdrive. I probably played the best gig I've ever played.

9. umm read on the package where it says either round or flat, or i guess you could look at the string the ^^^^^ vs. --------- is a pretty good diagram

10. [​IMG]
    here is a flatwound

11. HunsBassist

HunsBassist

Oct 3, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    cool, is there a price difference?