1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defretted Status $500

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by Frank Tuesday, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    At a local pawn shop in Austin, TX (next to Music Makers). The tag says Washburn, but it has the carbon fiber neck, active/passive electronics and doesn't say Washburn, so I'm pretty sure it is the real thing.

It has been defretted, and the fret slots were not filled well. You can definitely feel some edges. Will probably need a fretboard refinish. All of the electronics work, but the pots are a little scratchy. The neck seemed straight. It is strung up with light gauge strings, and the amp I used wasn't great, so it is hard to gauge the sound.

I'm probably going to head back tomorrow to check it out again. I really don't need it...

Cash America Pawn
    611 South Lamar Boulevard, Austin, TX
    (512) 443-7787 ‎ ยท cashamerica.com

[​IMG]

2. arszon

arszon Supporting Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Texas
    Be Careful here...There were Washburn's made with Graphite Necks.

3. I didn't know some Washburns had graphite necks. I'll have to look closely at any I see for sale. Either way, if you are sure it's a graphite neck, and not just painted, if it passes a physical and you like it, just ask yourself if it's worth $500 to you. I think, if I didn't have a fretless I loved already, that it would be worth it to me.

From the pic, it coudl be either Washburn or Status, I do not know if there are obvious visual cues to look for in small pictures. What kind of neck joint does it have? Bolt? Set? Through? Though with a Status, the set necks could be mistaken for neck through, they set pretty far into the body on some models.

4. Bobby B

Bobby B

Jul 24, 2009
    Dallas, Tx
  5. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    Every Washburn Status I have seen was clearly labeled "Washburn Status" on the upper body half AND had "J" style pickups and only a vol, blend and single tone control. This looks like the real McCoy. (Though I will be the first to admit that I am not a Status expert by any means.)

6. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    +1 to SMG. Those look like Status soapbars, which I don't think the Washburns ever came with...

Also, check out the angle of the label on the bridge hardware cover. I don't think I've ever seen any Washburn model Status licensed copies that had the logo at an angle like that... Also, I'd be skeptical of any "defretting" of a phenolic fingerboard. From what I've heard, that is incredibly difficult and can cause a lot of damage. More so than a wooden neck. I'm inclined to believe this may actually be a Status bass. Even if it is only a Washburn or some other brand, it's probably still worth the $500, just not a screamin' deal.

7. hifibass

hifibass

Feb 4, 2008
    Albany, NY
    This bass has what looks to be the real Status 200/202 electronics board with the Bright Switch, I've never seen that on a Washburn.

8. handofseven

handofseven Soaking up the cathode rays...

Mar 23, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Soooooooooo did OP go back and qualify Status or Washburn?

9. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think it is real. After reading the info on this page, and looking at many, many pics of the Washburns, I see nothing to suggest it is a Washburn.

10. Best way to find out, get the serial # off of the bass and call Status directly and find out! ;-p

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Man, the fact that there are no frets, no filled fret slots and light guage strings?? Hmmmm can you say neck warp! Either the truss is maxed out, broken or not working properly. Be very careful. If you don't have a great luthier, this is not an easy one to fix. Costly repair as well..

12. Not sure how you can tell this from the picture and OP's description that the neck seems straight.

13. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That was my point, you cant tell by the pic and the neck is always straight :eyebrow: We run into that all the time and it very well could be perfectly straight, but without the frets, I would be suspect

14. Dluxe

Dluxe

Jan 9, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The early Status Series II basses did not have truss rods. Defretting the neck did not affect this one. Missed this posting or I would have bought it sooner. I picked it up last Friday for $430 plus tax. I just happened to walk in the shop and I didn't even plug it in. Will get it refretted soon.

hx6l4n.

15. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Great snag!