Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

defretting 13th fret up

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by swerveo19, Mar 23, 2003.

1. I was consiodering defretting my bass after about three years of playing it, but i am to into funk so i came up with the idea to defret it from the 12th or 13th fret up so i could do some expressive soloing,is this a good idea technically or will it produce a rattle somewhere somehow?:confused: :meh:

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    seems like a good idea....i might do that sometime.

or get a 6 string and defret the B and the C string only.....i dunno how that would work, maybe get 4 string frets or something......ok i dunno, nevermind.

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I was thinking about doing something along these lines. It doesn't seem like there would be any buzzing. If you were to defret frets 1-12, on the other hand, there would (obviously) be buzzing.

I thought about doing a 3-octave fretboard, like a Hyperbass, and having it fretless past the 24th fret.

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my old guitarist in the mid 90's had a music store/studio. The house bass was a POS Samick defretted from the 10th fret up. It worked ok.

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    There should be no problem with that, except that you will have to have high action compared to a normal fretless, in order to clear the frets that are there.

6. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Unless I misunderstood the first post, no. The fretless section of the fb will be the 12 frets closest to the body. If it were the other way around, as I already said, there would be a conflict.

7. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Action on the fretless section will be high...mayeb too high to get much expression. The usual way of doing this is to have the fretless section same distance from the strigns as the top of the frets on the lower part.