Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting a bass- need fingerboard radius

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Sep 26, 2004.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm converting a Yamaha BB400 neck. The bass is from the older BB series, the rounder Bunny Brunel shape, and is a four string, bolt on 20-fret neck. I want to use a sanding block when I get ready to level the fingerboard, but I don't know the exact radius. If there are any Yamaha experts out there, I appreciate any info on the fingerboard radius or directions to a site where I can find out for myself. Thanks in advance.

2. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "send us an email or give us a call and we'll be glad to help you!"

For customers within the continental United States:

Email: guitarguru@yamaha.com

Phone: (714) 522-9011, 8:30AM to 5:00PM PST/PDT, Monday through Friday.

Hope they can give you the answer directly. :D

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You could also make some templates. I just use some cardboard. I cut one strip for the "ruler". Use a thumbtack to hold one end in place. Then measure the radius and punch a small hole to put a pencil through. Mark the arc on some cardboard and cut it out. You only need enough to cover the fretboard.

It will be accurate enough for your needs.

I would try 9.5" to start. You need only try sizes you can get a sanding block for.

5. This is a very good idea. Also, if you go to www.stewmac.com you'll see that they offer 7 standard radiuses for sanding blocks: 7.25, 9.5, 10, 12, 14, 16, and 20. Once, you've determined the one that you need...get one.

Note: the larger the radius, the flatter the board, the less precise you have to be. The converse is ALSO true

6. Gentlemen, you've forgotten that Yamaha basses do not use US measurements. The radii on their necks are measured in millimeters. This will make a difference in what radius you decide to start with if you use US radius blocks.

It's been mentioned that some Yammy's are 600mm radius