Defretting a Bass vs. Buying A Fretless

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RaijohAUlik, Jun 23, 2003.

1. I've recently purchased a new bass (upping my collection to a mass...uh...two) and I've always loved the fretless sound, and I was wondering if I should defret my older bass or just save money and buy a completely new fretless.

I've recently purchased a Fender Jazz 60's Reissue and I love that, but the one I'd be defretting would be a Spector NS2000Q4. Worth it? Not?

I appreciate all your input, as usual.

Keep bassin'.
  2. take in count that if you defret it, you'll have to place your fretting fingers where the frets would have been, instead of aligned with the dot markers..
  3. I'm usually pretty good about playing with my fingers smack-up-right behind the frets most of the time. I can get sloppy every once in a while when I'm feeling jazzy and I'll kick myself for that every time. I've played a couple fretlesses so I kinda know *some* of the ideas behind it.
  4. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I think it is a good idea to defret an older instrument that you don't play too much. It can be a great way to breath new life into an old instrument. This site is great for info on the process.

BTW, check out the thread posted at the top of this forum.
  5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Another option could be to buy a replacement fretless neck, it will arguably look/feel/play nicer than a de-fretted one. Don't know about cost though compared to just buying a whole new bass.
  6. Thanks for your input everyone, I hadn't thought of a replacement neck...

Again, I'm not sure if I'll be defretting it or not, I'll have to play around with it a little more before I decide.

The big thing is that I have a passive bass and and an active, with almost totally different sounds already, so I may use one of one style of music and one for the other as I see fit.

Keep the ideas coming.

Oh, and I read that whole thing on Defretting before I posted this, it kinda popped the idea into my head.