Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting a bass with a 0 fret

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pesci1313, Jun 1, 2002.

1. i am(not now but in the future) contemplating defretting my MTD beast because i think it'd make a killer fretless, but i want something a little different out of a fretted bass. will it be any different for having this bass defretted since it has a 0 fret, will the nut handle an open string alright?, or will i want to get a new nut? thanks

2. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    I had it done to a bass I used to have and you will want to get a new nut. Even if the openings in the spacer make it sit just right you'll still want a real nut for the tone and sustain.

3. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Also, the new nut will have to be moved to the 0 fret position, if the fretless is going to be lined, which I think is most common with defretted basses.

4. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Why not leave the zero fret and nut alone and take out all of the other frets?

5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I defretted one of my Steinberger Spirits, and left the zero fret alone. I was prepared to file it way down, but it's set up just fine the way it is.