Defretting a bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MDHCbass3006, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to go about defretting a bass? I have a (crappy) Ibanez GSR205 5 string, and I want to take the frets out. If anyone knows an easy way, or any websites that tell how to do it, could you please tell me? thanks! peace
  2. Hi MD and welcome to Talk Bass.

There have been a number of threads about defretting on these boards.

Try the "Search" facility (the globe) and type in defretting. You're bound to turn up something.

Good luck.

Rockin John
  3. Why search now? Three people have given him answers. Seems like a waste of time now.
  4. Hi MDHCbass3006 and welcome. I have found two of these helpful. This one if you don't have a lot of tools

and this one if you have a few luthiers tools ...conversion1.htm

Sorry Xavier, I haven't had a chance to take a look at the one you suggested. It may be helpful also.

I would also suggest that you only try this if you can live without the bass you will be defretting in case you mess up, or be ready to buy a new neck. I have not converted mine yet but hope to soon. Just take your time and let us know how it turns out if you decide to do it.

5. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Be Carefull doing it.... Sometimes those dag frets like to leave splenters for you and this can damage your fretboard.... I defretted my first bass... It took me about a week to complete.... but hey... I now have a fretless... I don't use it.. but I got one.

6. C'mon bassistjedi, wake up. Don't wanna start a row with you but your response to me REALLY IS pointless.

The other guys have provided excellent links: I've followed them myself. But with a task of this sort it's VITAL to have as much info as possible. You know, read as much as you can, ask about as much as you can, look @ TB archives as much as you can, etc.

There's plenty of advice on Talk Bass and '3006 should be encouraged to use it. Why are you against that?