1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Defretting a bass(?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Is it a good idea to even try to defret a bass? Do they EVER come out right? I have a junker that someone gave to me and don't need it since I bought a new one..think I should try to defret it? I really don't know that much about basses so I'd be going at it blindly..I'm out of maybe $5 if it doesn't work..this bass is junk..chunks out of it..broken pick gaurd..electronics are messed up..thats just a few things wrong with it..the frets are almost gone already! Anyone know of any tutorials or have any hints from experience?

2. i defretted aguitar and a bass. i think you're supposed to heat the frets first, with a soldering iron, but i just pried up the ends and yanked them out. i filled the slots with wood puttty, sanded it, and put on a wax finish. it came out pretty nice. there are better ways to go at it then what i did; ask on the luthiers corner section for advice from poepl who actually know what they're talkin' about (not me:p )