Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting a bass(?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by OxhadokenxO, Jan 26, 2003.

1. Is it a good idea to even try to defret a bass? Do they EVER come out right? I have a junker that someone gave to me and don't need it since I bought a new one..think I should try to defret it? I really don't know that much about basses so I'd be going at it blindly..I'm out of maybe $5 if it doesn't work..this bass is junk..chunks out of it..broken pick gaurd..electronics are messed up..thats just a few things wrong with it..the frets are almost gone already! Anyone know of any tutorials or have any hints from experience?

2. i defretted aguitar and a bass. i think you're supposed to heat the frets first, with a soldering iron, but i just pried up the ends and yanked them out. i filled the slots with wood puttty, sanded it, and put on a wax finish. it came out pretty nice. there are better ways to go at it then what i did; ask on the luthiers corner section for advice from poepl who actually know what they're talkin' about (not me:p )