Defretting a Cirrus - am I insane?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Manitou, Oct 14, 2005.

1. For our 15th wedding anniversary (which also happened to be my birthday) my wife got for me a 2004 Fender Jazz American Deluxe. That bass has ruined me - I love it to death, and it's my main bass for most things.

Anyway, I've got a Cirrus 4 that's languishing away in the case, and I've been GASsin' for a fretless bass for a long time. I love the tone and playability of the Cirrus, and though I did offer it up for sale, I'm actually glad I never found a buyer because I really don't want to let her go.

A friend, who happens to be a luthier/repair tech, offered to defret the bass for me. Part of me is jumping for joy that I'll have a sweet fretless bass soon if I accept his offer. Part of me is horrified at "defacing" such a wonderful instrument.

Since I've decided I really don't want to sell my Cirrus, and that my Fender is my main stage bass, would it be crazy/sacriligeous to defret the Cirrus to open up my tonal palette (we do have a few songs that a fretless would sound lovely on, and I'd have more options down the road when we're working on new material) or should I just save my money and buy a fretless?

Sorry about the longwinded post to ask a relatively simple question :)
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'd suggest looking for someone who has a frettless that would be willing to trade. Other than that, I don't see anything overly offensive with it as long as it is done well by an experienced worker. I hate to see hack de-fret jobs even on Wishbasses, so I'd really have to get steamed if you did it to a Cirrus.
  3. I'm assured it will not be a hack job, so you won't have to get steamed :) Wish me luck!