1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defretting a fretted bass.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Stupid Jerk, Sep 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    I believe that's what Jaco himself did, if I'm not mistaken. Rumor has it that he pulled the fretwire out from a normal J-bass and then spackled the slots with some kind of polymer cement or something. :confused:

Also, my one friend, fellow bassist and astonishingly good (I've seen him make pros fight back bitter tears of inadequacy), told me he heard about guys doing that... popping out the fretwire and putting some kind of goop in and smoothing it out.

Any truth to that? And ultimatel what is the proper way to defret an axe?

I have this strange notion to get a double-humbucker MusicMan Stingray or Bongo and defret the thing. I don't know why... but it's in my head.

2. I believe that this post belongs in the "Marijuana and you" thread. :bassist:

3. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    It's a serious question. I've heard about people doing it. Jaco himself might have even done it if the rumor be true.

4. :D

5. jaco ripped out his frets then filled in the grooves with epoxy.

how you would go about ripping out the frets is a mystery.

I say, just get a fretless neck.

6. Stupid Jerk

Stupid Jerk

Aug 1, 2006
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... just what the doctor ordered!!! :cool:

7. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    In future, if in doubt try the search function first! Especially if your question has "Jaco" or "defretting" in it. :)

8. isn't there a sticky at the top of the setup page that you would have had to have seen before you posted this?

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.