Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting a Japanese P-bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ruud Das, Jan 22, 2001.

1. I would like to know if it's any use to defret my Japanese P-bass. I'm trying to sell it, but if I can't, I'd like to try something different. But my I'd only screw up my axe, and not even get a (fairly) decent fretless.

Greetz,
    Ruud

2. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Don't do it if it's your only bass, but go for it if you've got a better one. Although you won't get much mwah with a P-bass. I recently discovered that as I defretted my ibanez p-style bass. If you follow the instructions, everything should come out fine. I recommend coating the fretboard with epoxy rather than polyurethane. I might have to sand off the polyurethane and apply epoxy since the poly wears off easily. Good luck!

3. As the owner of a couple of the Japanese Fender's I would strongly recommend against yanking the frets. These instruments are gaining value by leaps and bounds as they are becoming known for what they really are and that's the equal of the American instruments. You don't sound as if you are very experienced with this type of modification so you'll only de-value your instrument without a guarantee that the modification will be of high enough quality to make the instrument sound good. If you really want a fretless just put down the $200 or so it would take to get a MIM P or J fretless and go from there.

4. Cornbread

Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Good point, Hambone.
    Ruud Das, forget what I said.

5. I'm with Hambone.