Defretting a squier bronco bass...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frankencow150, Dec 22, 2001.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    My friends sister used to play bass.well not really but she acted like she did.She plays guitar now and she wants to trade in her old Squier Bronco bass.Oh that thing is sure a peice of crap.It makes rattling noises and whatnot.The strings sound like theyve been mutilated,eaten,and spit out.She thinks she was gonna get 100 for it.I laughed,and laughed at her.I told her that there sold new for 100.I told her at the most she would get 50.So now shes thinking of selling it to me.If i do end up buying it,heres my plan...

Get the truss-rod back in shape,MYSELF to get the rattling noises away.(please do not say "dont do it" because i know how to do it now)

Defret it.Please tell me if this would work on this bass,and a price range of how much a nice store would charge for the cost of defretting it and filling in the wood.

Some new,decent strings.

Ok so all I really want to know how much the whole defretting it and filling it would cost.Thanks!

2. 72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I recently defretted my Abuse Bass (yamaha pulsar p-copy), it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.

I used a hammer and a mechanical screwdriver (the ones with the little spinny things at the end of the handle so you can use them on eyeglasses and other precise things) to pry the frets out. I then filled in the ex-fret slots with Elmer's plastic wood filler (about 2 bucks at ben frank's), sanded the whole thing smooth with fine grit sandpaper (47 cents at home depot), redrew the fretlines with a marker, and put 2 coats of Minwax polyurethane on it (3 bucks at home depot).

I slapped a set of Rotosounds on it (got 'em on sale at Musician's Electronics Exchange for 11 bucks!) and for less than the cost of a new CD - a fretless bass. Swank, daddy!

BTW - I asked the guy at M.E.E. (who did the setup on my Ric, incidentally) how much it would cost to defret the yamaha beforehand, and he quoted me a hundred bucks - it'd be cheaper to just buy a fretless neck on ebay and bolt it on. The route I took was the cheapest of all, and was actually kinda fun. I wouldn't mind doing it again sometime if I come across another bass that needs to be manhandled away from frettitude. :)

3. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    yea im gonna do that instead of paying people to do it themselves.after i wrote this thread i noticed all the threads similiar to it.But the problem is that if I decide to do this,my parents will get really mad at me.theyre gonna say u just got a bass in may,stop wasting your money.But im afraid that if i wait too long she'll sell it.I might just wait till next summer,buy a Fender jazz,and defret the squier i have right now.Or if I find a good deal at a pawn shop.
  4. basskunk

Oct 16, 2001
    go for it,i started this past wed. on defretting my gsr200 by fri. i was playing my new frettless.i had no idea that chepo could sound so good.going to replace the pic-ups very the way only cost $20 bucks for materials.i used a pair of vice grips to pull the frets out,if u use some masking tape very small amount of splintering.good luck and enjoy
  5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i looked at that already,but now my question is...

How would it be on a squeir bronco?have any of you ever done it?I'm wondering if the action will change greatly or anything else.
  6. The Squier Bronco is one bass, with all its previously mentioned problems, that I would wonder about it being in tune all along the neck when fretless (or fretted for that matter) and so it might not be the best thing in the world to develop an ear for fretless intonation on.. just a thought. I could be very very wrong on the otherhand :D