1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Defretting a Warwick thumb 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j_sun23, Jul 11, 2003.

1. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Ok. I was lucky enough to purchase a '92 thumb five for a good price. It was the bass of my dreams since the first time I played one. I've also always wanted a thumb fretless (I love fretless, I love the thumb bass...why not). Lately I've been really fiending for a fretless but I don't have the money to get a decent one.

The $1500 question is: Should I even be talking about defretting my lovely bass?

I've done one defretting job on a cheap acoustic bass and it turned out pretty good. I was wondering if any of you have ever had any experience deflowering...I mean defretting a warwick in particular or any nice expensive boutique bass for that matter. I'm not talking about HAVING it done by someone. I mean defretting it yourself.

So, am I crazy?

2. Nooooooooooooooooo dont touch that warwick!...odds are you will take away the tone that comes with the high quality of ur bass...id advise against it...go buy a cheap frettless or something or get a good one like another warwick...but id say no to defretting it.

-Vince

3. heres a smarter idea... you send me your thumb and ill send you my defretted mia fender jazz :D

4. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That would be a dumb move! I agree with what others have said, go get a cheap fretless instead of ripping that one apart.

5. if you truly want a fretless outta your thumb bass, get it professionally done, otherwise you'll regret potentially damaging amateur jobs. Especially on a beauty like that.

6. Dude...dont even think about it...

go buy a fretless,please dont defret a thumb...

-Jon:oops:

7. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    Thanks for your emphatic responses. I needed that to kill the crazy voice in my head telling me to 'customize' my beautiful (and only) instrument. Looks like I'll be in the market for a cheap yet awesome fretless in the near future. Any suggestions?

8. well i dont know what type of basses you are into but you could get an essex/SX fretless for under 200 bucks. people here that have them love them and say they are great and for that price its a ridiculously good instrument. maybe you could look into that...

9. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would defintley get a cheap fretless rather than defretting a bass of that value, it would just be a bad move to defret it. I would not defret anything over $300 really.

10. Maybe not the greatest idea, but if your thumb is a bolt on, you could probably order a fretless neck and bolt it on. If you like it, leave it, if not, but the fretted back on.

11. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    It's a better idea than just defretting the neck. It could turn out a LOT less costly in the long run.

12. j_sun23

j_sun23

Feb 24, 2003
    Baton Rouge LA
    It's a neck thru, so no dice.

13. save 600 to 700 and get another warwick a Corvette Standard, from ebay. i belive u can get them for cheaper now

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I've got a warwick thumb 5 fretless. If you have the wenge neck, maybe we could swap if it is in great condition.