Defretting a Zon

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ddnidd1, May 20, 2005.

1. Can anyone describe the differences between defretting a Zon with a Phenowood fingerboard and a bass with a standard wood fingerboard?

Thanks in advance for any responses.
  2. While i've never done it myself, a friend who is a talented repair man and who tells the whole truth all of the time has done a few Zon's with synthetic boards. He said that he lifted far more chips on the Zon boards than on wooden boards. Those frets might be glued in, which is fairly easy to deal with, or it might just be typical of the boards. I would suggest calling Zon to get some advice from the source. They will know if they were glued in, what kind of glue may have been used, and whether tight kerfs or brittle board material make this a job that should be avoided.
  3. Thanks. That's pretty much what I expected. I have emailed Zon with no response, which is unusual since they've always been helpful in the past. I'll try calling them and see if that gets better results.
  4. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Why don't you just find a used fretless zon, buy it, then sell your fretted? Or find someone who wants to trade?
  5. Watch that Zon fretboard!!!.......

You never know what might happen!!!
  6. I sent a Sonus 5 out to Joe and had it defretted by his staff. It came back perfect, and he asked if I wanted a satin finish on the back of the neck, so he did that too, free of charge. He also sent it back in a new gigbag. Joe is the man. I think it did take me a few e-mails to hear from him. Better to just call if you can.