Defretting Acousticbass??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    Is it recomendable/possible to defrett an acoustic bassguitarr with rosewoodfretboard?
  2. Yes it is possible...I have a takimine jasmine abg that was was done by a tech though.It has a rosewood fingerboard,and it turned out pretty nice,I must say. :)
  3. bassisthenelson

Oct 24, 2004
    while we're on the topic of defretting an acoustic bass, i have a few questions...

im getting my hands on an acoustic bass next week and was thinking about defretting it.
    1) should it sound fine regardless of the type of wood it is?
    2) will it restrict what any styles i can play? ie. slapping etc
    3) what strings are recommended? it currently has nylon strings

4. I have never tried nylon bass strings...when I got my ABG,it had roundwounds on that were wearing down the fingerboard.I replaced them with flatwounds,and prefer them,plus they don't damage the fingerboard.

Defretting an ABG won't change the sound drastically,so don't expect too much of a change.
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I bought a cheap version of the Martin ABG at Sam Ash, there
    in house brand Carlo Robeli. I had the tech at the store de-fret it for $60.00, he made the lines a little darker, so I can still see them if I need to. The Bass was ony $170.00.I am very happy with it. I left the Phospher Bronze strings on it
    and it sounds great. I take it as a back-up on acoustic gigs.
    I can get a good fretless tone out of it, while sliding or playing
    5th's and I can get a good ABG tone out of it, playing with a pic or finger style depending on the song.I got the idea after
    seeing a picture of Jaco with a Fretless ABG.His was a custom
    made 5 string. :cool: