Defretting an ATK300?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by malabito, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Recently I took my Ibanez ATk300 into a local luthier, since I been thinking of taking it to someone to defret it to convert it into a fretless, so he can tell me if the job could be done and the price for it. He told me that since the wood on the neck was a light color wood, (i think he told me it was maple), hidding the damage done to the wood wont be that easily, and it may be seen easily in some places were the frets use to be. He told me that this wont affect the playability or feel of the neck as I play, but is going to be visible, in some spots. I wanted to know if this was true and how visible will it be, also, he is charging me for the job 120$, is this a good price?

Thanks a lot for your advice...:)
  2. He's warning you of the possibilities. And if he's doing that, he's probably concientious enough to be able to do the defret without problem. Yep, if a splinter comes up with a fret and he can't save it, then a filler would have to be used. There will be no way to exactly match the filler to the wood precisely, so your luthier's skill will tested. If he's good, you won't be able to see it except up close.

He may also be referring to the mineral staining under the frets that can happen with light colored maple. Even after resurfacing the, now, fingerboard, you'll be able to see some of this still in the wood. Completely removing would require a lot of fingerboard to be removed and that isn't good.

If it's a real problem for you, go with a dark line and camouflage it. It'll still play the same and you'll have some intonation reference built in.

Hope this helps

3. Thanks for clearing some things up, :).
  4. I think 120 is way too much for a job like that.. Is he going to use real wood to put the fretlines, or protect the fboard with epoxy or polyurethane?? If he does, it would still be a bit too much in my opinion.
  5. Yep he told he was going to use epoxy or something like that to protect the board, he is also calibrating the instrument and doing a complete setup after the job is done. Now regarding the material to put the fretlines he did not tell me anything about which material he was using. Anyways I already talk with another luthier, which is suppose to be good to, but not as the other one, and I am waiting for his price.