Defretting an Ibanez GSR200

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tyler Hole, Aug 3, 2003.

1. wingslax

wingslax

Jun 18, 2003
    I'm looking to defret my POS D'Agostino and take off the finish, i now know how to defret it, but how do i take off the finish?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I was gonna defret my Fender Jazz, but i need the money to pay for my new bass so i am selling it. (PM me if interested)

3. Faceley

Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    ok so here's what i Did.

1) turned on my computer

2)went onto Internet Explorer

3)went to www.warmoth.com

4)filled out the order forms

5)printed out the order forms

6)faxed the order forms

7)replaced the batteries in my CD player while forms faxed

8)waited 3 weeks

9)put my brand spanking new hella good looking fretless neck on

as you can tell i went the lazy more expensive way of defretting my bass, and don't worry i will be getting my hands dirty on the old fender neck and remove the frets on it myself for the cheapo bass i'm making from scratch.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I have a wall of Ibanez basses. My immediate thought and one that still sticks is, if you're going to that trouble, do it to a GSR 300 (whatever), something with a 24 fret neck. Why Ibanez didn't design those necks to be interchangeable is beyond me. Also, the GSR 300 in particular has a slimmer, faster neck than the 200. Plus, 2 frets may not seem like much but it's the difference between standing up or sitting down (or playing URB style). And the 300 DX (active version) has a battery shelf (little larger bay) which comes in handy for added electronics (5 pots plus 2 units and battery no problem). I've got Bart, Aggie, and EMG electronics in mine - amony others. I love the Ibanez necks and the light weight of the Agathis (Fuji Flora Punim) and basswood bodies. There's no reason to ever buy an expensive bass if you upgrade a low line Ibanez - unless you like heavy pretty woods or graphite necks ......or you're Stanley Clarke.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    A second thought, don't do fretless so not in the know but there may be something inherent in the design of fretless that may pose a problem. I know that a fretless has a "ramp" for staters for example. Didn't slow Jaco down but he may have been dusted when he ripped his frets out.

Anyone know (about fretless design, not Jaco)?

6. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    ROFLMAO, yea, no kidding...

If you've got one bass, & then you ruin it... Yer pretty much SOL then.

7. First post!

Thanks for all the great info. I got inspired to do some defretting on my Ibanez GSR 200 after stumbling upon this post. At first I was scared as hell, but then I said "Why not? Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?"

Thanks a million all you guys. I followed all the steps and it came out good. A bit messy on some of the frets but the sound is a totally new thing for me. It sure is better than spending more $$$ ( which I don't have ) to get a new fretless bass.

Thanks for the inspiration into the bold new world of fretless bass! :bassist:

Thunderchild

I'll post some proud pics later.