Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting and strings for it.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bornaginbassist, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Just taken up playing again after 30 years (Yes – 30!). Man – hasn’t the bass world changed? I quite like the idea of having a go at fretless. I decided rather than spend too much to start with I have acquired a real old cheapo P bass copy which I intend to defret (didn’t think ripping the frets out of my ‘66 Jazz which I have owned from new was a good idea!). Two questions – 1. Any tips on defretting? and 2. What about strings? I am not a fan of flatwound and wonder if roundwounds might be a bit too severe on a fingerboard that wasn’t intended for fretless, although I will probably try to harden it up a bit by brushing on some polyurethane coating. I understand you can get strings that are somewhere between the two (halfrounds?). Have seen bits about them here in the forum but would like to know more, including makes available in the UK. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Welcome!

There's a recent threat on defretting here, complete with a link to a site that goes into quite a bit of detail. A quick search on the term "defret" should turn it up.

And, I THINK (scary word, that) Status Graphite sells groundwounds on their UK website - you may want to check their range.

Good luck!

3. also there's the Rotosound RS55 "Solo Bass" pressurewounds.
    pretty much the roundwound sound with a smoother fretless-friendly feel.
    Elites also do a groundwound set- actually I suspect they're the same as the Status Graphite groundwounds....

4. Thanks for your replies particularly HeavyDuty for pointing me towards searching the site. I did not realise just how much info there is here – so much so that I’m almost embarrassed that I even asked the question! I can see me spending hours here! By the way I thought I would try easing the frets with a chisel as someone suggested and they virtually fell out – I suppose because the instrument is such a cheapo.

5. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    I've read before that applying a soldering iron to the frets for 30 sec's or so helps to soften things up and allows for easier removal of the frets.