Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting basses

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Rafterman, May 2, 2001.

1. i would like to defret my SR-506 (and change the electronics, later)..

but anyway...where is a place where i can have my bass defretted... my bass is too valuable to me, i don't want to risk having myself do it...

do ppl at tech shops actually do this for ppl...or do i need to pay a million bucks for a defret job? lol

any suggestions?

2. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    Couldn't tell where you are from since your profile is not filled in, but I know several techs in the Atlanta area who do it. You may want to call a luthier in your area, and if you don't have one maybe search the net for one who you could ship it to. Good luck!

3. i live in LA...do you know any luthiers here in LA?

4. If this sounds like it's harsh, it is intended to be!

You live in LA. LA, the entertainment capital of the world. LA, the original home of Fender, and about a dozen other instrument manufacturers. LA, homebase to the recording industry, LA, where you can buy anything, do anything, and see anything that this world has to offer.

Are there any luthiers in LA??

Let's just say that if you were to actually look in the phonebook, ask at your local music stores, search on the web, ask a fellow musician, or just go out and stop someone on the street, you will find the names of at least 3 local luthiers or techs that could do this work for you. But fer cryin' out loud do some homework!! I don't necessarily know of many people here on TB in the LA area but you can be assured that most of us are from somewhere else on the planet. That means that even if we did know of someone, it will only be a single reference and that's not enough to justify sending your bass to. But there are others - especially in LA where there are what?, about 10 million people?

Rafterman, you must understand my frustration by now. You are in the middle of guitarland. Just do some searching locally by the usual means and I am sure that you will discover what you are looking for. TB is a fine resource but it does have limitations and this is one of them.