1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Defretting, filling question.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KingCrimson, Dec 9, 2011.

1. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Is it that necessary to use wood veneer to fill in the frets? Or can i just use some kind of filler? And if i can use filler what would be something that drys up very strong and hard. I am not sure where to get proper veneer for this kind of thing.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    veneer....ebay is quickest, you could use a colored epoxy, but most wood fillers are not hard enough without a hard sealer

3. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I am working on a lined fretless bass, but I didn't want to use veneers for the lines, because I want it to be white, not off-white....mostly to match the saddle.

So I went on amazon and looked for some kind of plastic sheet product. I ended up buying a sheet of white "High Impact Styrene". They happened to have it in a 0.02" thickness, and it only cost about $10 for 4 square feet.

The only problem is, I got my "white" graphtech saddle, and it's not white at all. It's a cream color, more like the color of maple. C'est la vie.

4. btp

btp

Aug 30, 2009
    Lansing, Michigan
    You can use Bondo (epoxy auto body patch). Seriously. It works great, as long as you don't mind the neutral grey color. It's cheap, dimensionally stable, dries fast, and it's highly sandable. Just don't apply too much, or you'll be sanding forever.

5. How many times has this been asked? Is there a stick on this? If not, why isn't there?

6. KingCrimson

KingCrimson

Oct 6, 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys! i will check out that bondo but i also found some maple veneer that i'll try out as well!

7. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    The color of bondo is whatever color ther hardener is. The automotive filler is either pink or blue usually. The bondo wood filler would work better but its kind of yellow looking.

8. Just make sure your veneer is not the pre-glued/iron-on kind. If it is, you'll need to heat up the glue and scrape it off, otherwise the veneer won't fit in the fret slots.