Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Defretting my bass (1/2-2/3 done so far!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Selta, Nov 10, 2002.

1. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Ok, so today around 2:30 pm I started to defret my bass. Within an hour I got all the frets our, and the board sanded. I then took a break (which I have yet to go back to :D). Anyway, here's some pics, three to be exact. I have since filled in the gaps with filler, and am awaiting it to dry...

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
  3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, looks the same as before, but it's not...

4. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i also defretted one my bass... here is a picture of it in the middle of the work...

5. BHB, what did you use to pull the frets? Those pliers in the photos? Are they a special type? Did you lose any chunks of fretboard when you pulled them out? It looks like a nice job. I'm trying to work up the nerve myself. Cheers

6. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    well, i am not BHB, but if you want to remove a frets .. cover fretboard around frets by something like stick is. then take an iron and warm frets up, ... be carefull and do it slowly.. dont waste zour bass... and remove frets out by screwdriver. then u have diferent methodes how to finish a fretboard.. in each way u will have to sand and choose if to fill frets by epoxide or wood... then just sand it again and put some layers of polyurethane on and tune bass again.. :D

here on talkbass are tons of materials how to defret bass... go for it... .. i am working on finish too so you won;t hear this bass yet ...

7. Thanks Misanthrope. I really just wanted some dialogue on the tool. I have a pair of flat jawed side cutters (or dikes as I've heard them called) and I wondered if these are similar to the tool pictured in BHB's post. You know the old adage: use the right tool for the job... Cheers

8. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    no problem jaydee, i think u do not need exactly defretting tools for defret one instrument.. screwdriver can works easily too. i just wish u good luck.

btw post pictures laters when u will have it done :)

9. I'm still not quite sure how you can pry the frets out without damaging the fretboard. Also, the neck I will be defretting has binding. How can I get the pliers around the frets without scraping the fretboard and the binding? Also, if I don't have access to a soldering iron, is there another good way to heat the frets up? I know this sounds stupid, but could I just steal a curling iron from my mom?:)

10. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    yes, steal it from your mother.. that is what I did. you must be very very carefull and cover fretboard by stick or something like stick... if u will do it enough slow it will be okay... it can take hours to remove frets out. it is not a fun from my view. I have done some frets excellent and several times I also hurted a fretboard cause of i didn;t covered it... but polyurethane or another finishing toy works as well thanks god!!!

on the other way making finish seems worse to me then defretting

Miss.Ant.

11. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    btw i don;t know what numbers you have for sand papers. here higher numbers are for smoother sanding.. so for fretboard.. for removing oil is good to use gritpaper 200 or 210 (i hope i am right now).

12. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    www.stewmac.com

they have nice little fret pulling pliers to keep you from banging up you fretboard and even instructional videos. I find them to be a great resource and have bought many items from them (including an ebony fretboard when I screwed up my de-fret job 15 yrs ago)

13. I used toenail clippers and the frets came out really easy. Much easier than a screwdriver.

14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    are you going to epoxy the board or leave it exposed ?

15. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    when i found out that I can use wood for filling a holes i already used an epoxy... if I could I was using a wood...

i will check that site and maybe i will also order some ebony fretboard :D just for sure

16. Is epoxy effective for filling the holes? I was just going to use it to coat the board so I can use roundwounds and slap.

17. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    i think epoxy works... but wood is better... i already tried it on defretted bass in a shop before... some branches uses this methode for fretless types of basses... i have finished a fretboard by some special non glossy politure in spray. sorry, i don;t know the name now... i will look for it when i will get home.. g;nite...

18. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    I hope I didn't sound discouraging. When I did my de-fret years ago, I didn't have the saw and tools that I needed to do the job the way I wanted to. I wanted to fill the slots with wood, but got discouraged and bought a new board. I'm sure you're going to be very happy with your results

19. Misanthrope

Misanthrope

Feb 7, 2002
    Prague
    how can I remove all fretboard??? i was thinking about it... and have no idea...

20. reachjkh

reachjkh

Nov 21, 2002
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Heat softens the glue (my father uses a heat gun, but it has risks), but unless you've read extensively on the whole process, you might want to do so first. Not only do you have to safely get the board off, but you need to NOT fill the whole trussrod cavity with glue while reapplying the new fingerboard. It's not so hard, but you really should get some instruction. It will save you frustration.